The Admirals believe that education is vital to the development of a strong community. As a result, they are involved in several education programs in the Hampton Roads area. The Admirals periodically visit local schools where they read to students, share different languages and cultures, give geography lessons, and more. Here are some of the programs that the Admirals are supporting, participating in, or coordinating this season:
During the 2015-2016 season, nearly 90,000 students in nearly 2,500 classrooms will participate in the Admirals All-Star Reader Program. The program rewards elementary school readers with tickets to Admirals games. In order to earn free tickets, students in grade levels K – 2 are required to read a minimum of ten books and students in grade levels 3 – 5 are required to read five books. After reaching their goal, the students received Admirals bookmarks that entitled the reader to free tickets to attend Admirals games.
This program has become vital to the schools over the last 9 years to increase reading skills through our partnership to encourage elementary age children to read. Schools from all over Hampton Roads are welcome to join. Previously, schools from Portsmouth, Suffolk, Yorktown/Williamsburg, Virginia Beach, and other cities/districts have participated.
The Norfolk Admirals would like to share their favorite books with you. Take this list to your local library or book store and see if you enjoy the same stories as the team!
- Ice Magic, by Matt Christopher
- Z is for Zamboni: A Hockey Alphabet, by Matt Napier, Illustrated by Melanie Rose
- Brady Brady and the Runaway Goalie, by Mary Shaw , Illustrated by Chuck Temple
- Magic Hockey Skates, by Allen Morgan, Illustrated by Michael Martchenko
- Hockey Sweater, by Roch Carrier
- How Hockey Works: The Science of Hockey, by Keltie Thomas
- Kidnapped in Sweden (Screech Owls Series #5), by Roy MacGregor
- Hockey: Miracle on Ice, by Michael Sandler
- Frankenstein Doesn’t Slam Hockey Pucks, by Debbie Dadey and Marcia Thornton Jones
Bucks & Pucks Program
The Norfolk Admirals promote literacy in the Hampton Roads area by sharing their favorite books with students of all ages. If you would like to have the Norfolk Admirals come to your school, contact Vice President of Community Affairs Brooke Cranor at 757-640-1212.