– Last weekend, the Norfolk Admirals concluded their six-game road trip with a three-game sweep of Atlantic Division opponents. After winning five of six on the road, the Admirals return home for a pair of games against division rivals this week at Norfolk Scope Arena.
scored a career-high five points as the Admirals downed the Manchester Monarchs 7-2
on Friday. The next night, Cedrick Desjardins
made 36 saves for his sixth straight win as the Admirals overcame an early three-goal deficit to defeat the Portland Pirates 4-3 in a shootout
. Yesterday, Mike Vernace
's second goal of the contest was the game-winner in a 3-2 overtime victory at Springfield
to wrap up the road trip with a 5-1 record.
The Admirals have another Admirals Value Night, featuring SunTrust Admirals Family Fun Packs and Student Rush Nights, as they return to Scope on Wednesday to battle the Syracuse Crunch at 7:15 p.m. On Friday, the Admirals and East Division-leading Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins square off at Scope at 7:30 p.m. The Admirals and local SPCAs have joined together for Puck 'n' Paws night on Friday. The Admirals will also be celebrating Holiday Geer and Cheer Night on Friday. Please see below for more details on these special events. The Admirals and Penguins will travel to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton for a rematch Saturday night.
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS
At 15-6-3-1 (34 pts.) the Admirals are in second place in the East Division. The Admirals trail the division leading Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (20-4-0-0, 40 pts.) by just six points. Trailing the Admirals are the Hershey Bears (14-9-0-1, 29 pts.), Charlotte Checkers (13-9-1-2, 29 pts.), Binghamton Senators (10-12-2-1, 23 pts.), Albany Devils (11-13-0-0, 22 pts.), Syracuse Crunch (8-11-1-3, 20 pts.) and Adirondack Phantoms (3-20-2-0, 8 pts.). Click here for the complete, up-to-the-minute AHL standings
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Wed., Dec 8 … vs Syracuse Crunch (Anaheim Ducks) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Fri., Dec 10 … vs Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh Penguins) … 7:30 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Sat., Dec. 11 … at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh Penguins) … 7:05 p.m.
ADMIRALS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Mike Angelidis: 3GP, 3G, 3A, 6PTS
- The Admirals have won eight of their last ten games (8-2-0-0).
- Norfolk and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton are the only AHL teams without back-to-back regulation losses this season.
- Norfolk's defense has limited its opponents to three or fewer goals in 14 of its last 16 games (2.63 GAA).
- Norfolk has scored five or more goals in ten of 25 games this season – including seven games with six or more goals and four games with seven goals scored.
- The Admirals went 5-1-0-0 on a season-long six-game road trip to improve to 12-4-2-0 on the road in 2010-11.
- Norfolk picked up five or more wins in a single road trip for just the second time since joining the AHL.
- Norfolk’s .833 point percentage on the road trip was the second-highest points percentage in a road trip of six or more games in AHL Admirals history, trailing only last season’s January-February seven-game road trip (6-0-1-0, .929).
- The Admirals have played 18 of their first 25 games on the road. They have played the most games and have the most points (26) on the road in the AHL. Norfolk's .722 road points percentage ranks sixth in the AHL.
- Six of Norfolk's next eight games will be played at Norfolk Scope Arena.
- After playing five of their last six games against the Atlantic Division, the Admirals will play ten straight games against the East Division – including three games against division-leading Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and their first game of 2010-11 against the defending Calder Cup Champion Hershey Bears.
- Mike Angelidis led Norfolk with five goals, nine points and a plus-7 rating on the six-game road trip.
- Angelidis tied an AHL Admirals record with a five-point game on Friday in Manchester as he recorded two goals and three assists. It was the third five-point game in AHL Admirals history (all on the road), joining Brett McLean's performance on October 8, 2003, at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (2G, 3A) and Mark Cullen's performance on January 21, 2006, at Binghamton (2G, 3A).
- Angelidis set new personal AHL career highs for assists (3) and points (5) in a single game while tying his high for goals (2) in one game.
- Cedrick Desjardins has set a new AHL Admirals record with a six-game road-winning streak dating back to November 19 at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
- Desjardins’ streak is also a six-game overall winning streak in which he has a 2.31 goals-against average and .914 save percentage. He is one game shy of the AHL Admirals franchise record overall winning streak, which is a seven-game winning streak by Michael Leighton from January 30 – February 18, 2004.
- Desjardins has not played a home game since October 29 vs. Portland at Scope, playing ten straight road games (8-2-0, 2.55 GAA, .900 SV%).
- Blair Jones has points in four straight games (4G, 3A).
- Chris Durno has points in three straight games (1G, 3A).
- Mike Vernace has set a new AHL career high for goals after scoring his fourth and fifth goals of the season yesterday in Springfield. The fifth-year pro’s previous high was three goals in both the 2007-08 and 2008-09 seasons with Lake Erie.
- Vernace also assisted on Alex Berry’s third period goal yesterday, giving him an AHL single-game career high with three points (2G, 1A).
- Chris Durno’s third period power play goal on Saturday in Portland ended an 0-27 run on the power play for Norfolk stretching back to November 12 at Adirondack, snapping a span of ten straight games without a power play goal.
- Mark Barberio assisted on both Norfolk third period goals in Saturday's comeback against Portland for his first professional multiple point game.
- Norfolk's leading scorer, Johan Harju, was recalled from the Admirals by the parent Tampa Bay Lightning on Friday and earned his first NHL point on an assist in Tampa Bay’s 6-5 win against the Colorado Avalanche that night.
- Mathieu Roy, who was returned to the Admirals earlier on Friday by the parent Tampa Bay Lightning, established a new Norfolk franchise record with a plus-6 game against Manchester on Friday.
- Had Roy not posted the plus-6 mark, both Angelidis and Ty Wishart would have claimed the new plus/minus record at plus-5.
was tied for the AHL league lead in scoring last week with six points in three games. He began his week by tying an AHL Admirals franchise record with a five-point game in Manchester on Friday. Angelidis notched two goals and three assists as the Admirals routed the Atlantic Division-leading Monarchs 7-2. Angelidis set new personal AHL single-game career highs for points and assists while tying his high for goals. On Saturday in Portland, Angelidis scored the game-tying goal with only 33 seconds left in regulation as the Admirals went on to defeat the Pirates 4-3 in a shootout.
Angelidis has recorded eight goals and 16 points while playing all 25 games for the Admirals this season. He ranks seventh in points and is tied for third in goals on the club. His plus-10 rating is tied for third on the club and ranks among the top 20 in the AHL. The fifth-year pro is already more than halfway to his career highs in goals and points in a single AHL season.
ADMIRALS VALUE NIGHTS
Wednesday night is another Admirals Value Night at Norfolk Scope. Family Fun Packs, presented by SunTrust, include four discounted Red Level Tickets for just $48 plus four free hot dogs, four free popcorns and four free sodas. Fans get all of that for just $48 – that’s a savings of $37! Click here for more information
Student Rush Nights provide $8 White Level Tickets (normally $12) for high school and college students with a valid current high school or college ID. In addition, when you buy a Student Rush Night Ticket, you get a buy-one, get-one free offer for the next Student Rush Night. Click here for more information
Family Fun Packs are available at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 or online at Ticketmaster.com. Student Rush Night Tickets are available ONLY at the Scope Box Office after 2:00 p.m. on the day of the game.
PUCKS 'n' PAWS NIGHT
The Norfolk Admirals and local SPCAs have teamed together for another Puck 'n' Paws Night
. On Friday, fans are welcome to bring their medium or small sized dogs (35 pounds or less) to the game. Patrons bringing their dogs to the game will be seated in Section 205.
Fans can also support the local SPCAs by purchasing limited-edition tee shirts featuring Mitch Fritz
and his four-legged friend Calhoun. Tee shirts may be purchased at the game. In addition, the Admirals will give away trading cards featuring Fritz and Calhoun on the front and information about the SPCA's efforts on the back.
Fans can purchase Red Level Tickets (normally $14) for just $10 online in advance of the game. Proceeds from advance online ticket purchases will benefit local SPCAs. For more details on the event or to purchase tickets, please visit norfolkadmirals.com
HOLIDAY GEAR AND CHEER NIGHT
Also on Friday, 102.1 The Game, the Norfolk Admirals and the Salvation Army will present Holiday Gear and Cheer Night
. Bring new sports gear and equipment to the game on Friday to be donated to less fortunate youth in the Hampton Roads area. The Salvation Army will distribute the gear.
Bring footballs, basketballs, soccer balls, hockey equipment or other new sporting goods to the game between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. and receive two tickets to a future contest. Visit norfolkadmirals.com
for more details.
THIS WEEK ON THE ADMIRALS HOUR RADIO SHOW
Tune in to the Admirals Hour
at 4:00 p.m. on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and 1021TheGame.com. "The Voice of the Admirals" Pete Michaud
will be in the studios and will be joined via telephone by #10 Mike Angelidis
and former Admirals captain and current New York Islanders forward Zenon Konopka
. To call in to the show, dial (757) 490-2750.
ADMIRALS HOLIDAY GIFT PACKS AND 10-PACKS
You’re sure to score with your family and friends this holiday season with Admirals Holiday Gift Packs and Admirals Holiday 10-Packs. Click here to order now!
Admiral Holiday Gift Packs include an Admirals magnet, jersey keychain, foam glove, four Admirals ticket vouchers and $10 in Admirals Hockey Bucks to be used for concessions, tickets and/or merchandise. The Admirals Holiday Gift Pack is valued at $78 but is available now for only $50!
Admirals Holiday 10-Packs are also now available. On top of the great value and flexibility always built into Admirals 10-Packs, you now also get an Admirals hat and an Admirals player-autographed puck. Admirals Holiday 10-Packs are available for as little as $125.
Admirals 10-Packs offer a flexible and affordable way to watch Admirals hockey at Scope. 10-Packs consist of ten undated ticket vouchers at $1 off the gate price. These vouchers may be redeemed at the Scope Box Office anytime for tickets to any 2010-11 Admirals regular season home game.
You can use all ten vouchers for ten tickets to one game, spread them out for a single ticket over ten different games, or anywhere in-between. Plus, there are no ticket fees and you save $10 over the life of the ten pack off the regular ticket price.
10-Pack vouchers may be exchanged for game tickets as far in advance as you like. So if you have a list of games you know you will attend, take the 10-Pack vouchers to the Scope Box Office today and redeem them for the seats of your choice (based upon availability) for the games of your choice.
Limited Admirals Holiday Gift Packs and Admirals Holiday 10-Packs are available, so get yours today. You can purchase them at the Admirals Center Ice Souvenir Stand during Admirals games, via phone at (757) 640-1212 or online at the merchandise page on norfolkadmirals.com
Goals: Johan Harju
Assists: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Points: Johan Harju
PP goals: Johan Harju
, Paul Szczechura
SH Goals: Mathieu Roy
, James Wright
+/- Rating: Chris Durno
PIM: Pierre-Cedric Labrie
GAA: Cedrick Desjardins
Spct: Cedrick Desjardins
Wins: Cedrick Desjardins
Losses: Dustin Tokarski
GPl: Cedrick Desjardins
Minutes: Cedrick Desjardins
Goals: Kyle Palmieri
Assists: Trevor Smith
Points: Trevor Smith
Matt Beleskey (4)
SH Goals: Nathan Paetsch
+/- Rating: Joe DiPenta
PIM: Jon Mirasty
GAA: Jean-Philippe Levasseur
Spct: Timo Pielmeier
Wins: Timo Pielmeier
Losses: Timo Pielmeier
GPI: Timo Pielmeier
Minutes: Timo Pielmeier
Goals: Dustin Jeffrey
Assists: Dustin Jeffrey
Points: Dustin Jeffrey
PP goals: Dustin Jeffrey
SH Goals: Dustin Jeffrey
+/- Rating: Joe Vitale
PIM: Jesse Boulerice
GAA: Brad Thiessen
Spct: Brad Thiessen
Wins: Brad Thiessen
Losses: John Curry
, Brad Thiessen
GPI: Brad Thiessen
Minutes: Brad Thiessen
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
December 1, 2010
ADD F Blair Jones
- Returned on loan from Tampa Bay (NHL)
December 3, 2010
ADD D Mathieu Roy
- Returned on loan from Tampa Bay (NHL)
DELETE F Johan Harju
- Recalled from loan by Tampa Bay (NHL)
Don’t miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your 2010-11 season tickets today. Affordable monthly payment plans are available for a limited time only! Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com.
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All eighty regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com