– After earning three of a possible four points to begin a five-game homestand last week, the Admirals will conclude a five-game homestand with games on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday nights at Scope this week.
On Friday, Mike Vernace
, Mike Angelidis
and Chris Durno
scored goals 1:08 apart in the third period to break a 2-2 tie as the Admirals defeated the Connecticut Whale
, 5-2, at Scope. In the Saturday rematch, Stefano Giliati
tied the game at 2-2 with 1:39 left in regulation, but the Admirals fell to the Whale
3-2 in overtime.
The Admirals conclude a five-game homestand next week with three games at Norfolk Scope Arena. On Tuesday, the Admirals battle the Charlotte Checkers in another Family Fun Pack and Student Rush Night. On Friday, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers invade Scope and the first 500 children aged 12 and younger receive a youth jersey compliments of ITAC and WTKR NewsChannel3. The Admirals and Sound Tigers square off again on Saturday night in the fourth annual Pink in the Rink to Benefit Susan G. Komen For the Cure.
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS
At 19-9-7-2 (47 pts.) the Admirals are tied for second place in the American Hockey League’s East Division. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (30-8-0-0, 60 pts.) lead the division. The Admirals are tied with the Charlotte Checkers (21-13-1-4, 47 pts.) for second place and the Hershey Bears (22-13-1-1, 46 pts.) are only one point behind in fourth place. The Binghamton Senators (19-16-2-2, 42 pts.) have crept to within five points of the Admirals and Checkers in fifth place. Wrapping up the division are the Syracuse Crunch (14-20-1-3, 32 pts.), Albany Devils (14-20-0-3, 31 pts.), and Adirondack Phantoms (11-25-2-2, 26 pts.). Click here for the complete, up-to-the-minute AHL standings
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Tues., Jan. 11 … vs. Charlotte Checkers (Carolina Hurricanes) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Fri., Jan. 14 … vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers (New York Islanders) … 7:30 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Sat., Jan. 15 … vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers (New York Islanders) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
ADMIRALS FAMILY FUN PACK/STUDENT RUSH NIGHT
- Norfolk snapped a five-game winless streak (0-3-1-1) with its win on Friday vs. Connecticut.
- With Friday’s win, the Admirals handed Connecticut just its third regulation loss in 18 games since changing its name from the Hartford Wolf Pack to the Connecticut Whale on November 27, 2010.
- After Saturday’s 3-2 overtime loss to Connecticut, Norfolk fell to 1-7-4 in the five-minute overtime this season (2-2 in the shootout). Norfolk has not won an overtime or shootout game at Norfolk Scope Arena this season in seven tries (five overtime losses and two shootout losses).
- The Admirals have standings points in eight consecutive home games (3-0-3-1).
- Fourteen of Norfolk’s next 20 games will be played at Norfolk Scope Arena. Norfolk has played the fewest home games (15) in the AHL in 2010-11.
- Cedrick Desjardins is tied for seventh in the AHL with 13 wins. Norfolk has not lost a game in regulation in each of Desjardins’ last ten starts (9-0-1-0) dating back to November 19 at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, as he has posted a 2.47 goals-average and .910 save percentage with Norfolk since that game.
- With the first of his two third-period assists on Friday night, Blair Jones became the fourth player to record 100 assists in a Norfolk Admirals (AHL) career (Marty Wilford, 141; Martin St. Pierre, 122; Ajay Baines, 107).
- With 52 goals and 101 assists for 134 points in 229 games, Jones currently ranks fifth in goals, fourth in assists, sixth in points and fifth in games played in AHL Admirals history. He joins Ajay Baines, Quintin Laing, Matt Keith, Matt Henderson and Casey Hankinson as the only six players to appear in the top ten of each statistical category.
- Norfolk is tied for the AHL lead with six double-digit goal scorers (Johan Harju, Mike Angelidis, James Wright, Chris Durno, Matt Fornataro and Alex Berry).
- The game-winning goal has been scored by a defenseman in each of Norfolk’s last five wins (Mike Vernace 12/5 at SPR, Troy Milam 12/10 vs. WBS, Gudas 12/11 at WBS, Mark Barberio 12/18 vs. ALB and Vernace 1/7 vs. CT).
- NHL veteran defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron made his Norfolk debut on Friday night vs. Connecticut and was +1 with three shots.
The Admirals return to Scope on Tuesday night for another Admirals Value Night. Family Fun Packs, presented by SunTrust
, include four discounted Red Level Tickets for just $48 plus four free hot dogs, four free popcorns and four free sodas. Fans get all of that for just $48 – that’s a savings of $37!
Student Rush Nights
provide $8 White Level Tickets (normally $12) for high school and college students with a valid current high school or college ID. In addition, when you buy a Student Rush Night Ticket, you get a buy-one, get-one free offer for the next Student Rush Night.
Family Fun Packs are available at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 or online at Ticketmaster.com. Student Rush Night Tickets are available ONLY at the Scope Box Office after 2:00 p.m. on the day of the game.
ADMIRALS YOUTH JERSEY GIVEAWAY, COURTESY OF ITAC
On Friday, Jan. 14th, the first 500 kids ages 12 and under through the gates will receive an Admirals Youth Jersey
courtesy of ITAC and WTKR NewsChannel3.
PINK IN THE RINK TO BENEFIT SUSAN G. KOMEN FOR THE CURE
Join us for Pink in the Rink to benefit Susan G. Komen For the Cure
on this Saturday, January 15th. This popular annual event with an Admirals game played on pink ice will seek to educate and raise awareness about breast cancer while also raising monies for the Tidewater Affiliate of Susan G. Komen For the Cure.
Special $12 Red Level Tickets will be available for the game with a portion of proceeds being donated to the Tidewater Affiliate of Susan G. Komen For the Cure. Tickets may be purchased in online at www.komentidewater.org
or by calling Komen at (757) 490-7794. These special fundraising tickets must be purchased in advance with seating based upon availability.
Events leading up to and during the game include a breast cancer informational session, survivor participation during game night, "Hockey 101" and a silent auction for player-autographed Admirals and NHL items. The "Hockey 101" will be held starting at 6:15 p.m. Seating is based on a first-come, first-served basis.
THIS WEEK ON THE ADMIRALS HOUR RADIO SHOW
Tune in to the Admirals Hour
on Tuesday afternoons at 4:00 p.m. on the home of the Admirals – "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and 1021TheGame.com. “The Voice of the Admirals” Pete Michaud
will be joined by special call-in guests. To call in to the show, dial (757) 490-2750.
Goals: Johan Harju
Assists: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Points: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Games: Mike Angelidis
, Matt Fornataro
, Paul Szczechura
, James Wright
SH Goals: James Wright
+/- Rating: Mike Angelidis
, Chris Durno
PIM: Alex Berry
, Pierre-Cedric Labrie
GAA: Cedrick Desjardins
Spct: Cedrick Desjardins
Wins: Cedrick Desjardins
Losses: Dustin Tokarski
GPl: Cedrick Desjardins
Minutes: Cedrick Desjardins
Goals: Jerome Samson
Assists: Oskar Osala
Points: Jerome Samson
PP goals: Jon Matsumoto
SH Goals: Nick Dodge
, Jerome Samson
, Brett Sutter
+/- Rating: Jacob Micflikier
PIM: Zack FitzGerald
GAA: Justin Pogge
Spct: Justin Pogge
Wins: Justin Pogge
Losses: Mike Murphy
, Justin Pogge
GPI: Justin Pogge
Minutes: Justin Pogge
Goals: Robin Figren
, Micheal Haley
, Rhett Rakhshani
Assists: Rhett Rakhshani
Points: Rhett Rakhshani
Games: Robin Figren
, Micheal Haley
, Rhett Rakhshani
PP goals: Jeremy Colliton
, Micheal Haley
SH Goals: Josh Bailey
, Jean Bourbeau
, Rob Hisey
+/- Rating: Josh Bailey
PIM: Micheal Haley
GAA: Kevin Poulin
Spct: Kevin Poulin
Wins: Kevin Poulin
Losses: Mikko Koskinen
GPI: Mikko Koskinen
Minutes: Mikko Koskinen
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
January 6, 2011
ADD D Marc-Andre Bergeron
– Loaned by Tampa Bay (NHL)
Individual tickets for all regular season games start at just $12. Tickets are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Take advantage of great savings on Admirals tickets with our 10-Packs and group tickets. 10-Packs are available for as little as $110 and allow you to pick the games you want. Group tickets start at $10 for groups of 25 or more people. Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com
anytime for more details or to purchase your tickets!
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All eighty regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com