– Riding a three-game winning streak, the Norfolk Admirals will host the Syracuse Crunch at Scope on Tuesday at 7:15 p.m. and then hit the road for a four-game trip.
Last week, the Admirals won three of four games. The week began with a 2-1 loss to the Charlotte Checkers
at Scope on Tuesday. On Friday at Scope, the Admirals converted on three power play opportunities to beat the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 5-2
. In the rematch on Saturday, Captain Chris Durno
's go-ahead goal with 1:09 remaining in regulation brought a season-high crowd of 8,103 at Scope to their feet, as the Admirals defeated the Sound Tigers, 3-2
. To close out the week on Sunday, Blair Jones
scored twice as the Admirals defeated the Checkers, 4-2
, at the Time Warner Cable Arena.
The Admirals look to continue their winning ways this week. On Tuesday, the Admirals battle the Syracuse Crunch at Scope in another Family Fun Pack Night, Sponsored by Sun Trust, and another Student Rush Night. Norfolk then sets sail on a four-game road trip with games on Friday in Binghamton against the Senators and Saturday in Syracuse against the Crunch.
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS
At 22-10-7-2 (53 pts.), the Admirals are in second place in the American Hockey League’s East Division. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (32-9-0-0, 64 pts.) lead the division. The Charlotte Checkers (23-15-1-4, 51 pts.), Hershey Bears (23-14-1-2, 49 pts.) and Binghamton Senators (21-18-2-2, 46 pts.) are each within seven points of Norfolk in third through fifth place, respectively. Wrapping up the division are the Albany Devils (17-20-0-3, 37 pts.), Syracuse Crunch (15-21-1-4, 35 pts.), and Adirondack Phantoms (12-27-2-2, 28 pts.). Click here for the complete, up-to-the-minute AHL standings
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Tues., Jan. 18 … vs. Syracuse Crunch (Anaheim Ducks) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Fri., Jan. 21 … at Binghamton Senators (Ottawa Senators) … 7:05 p.m.
Sat., Jan. 22 … at Syracuse Crunch (Anaheim Ducks) … 7:30 p.m.
ADMIRALS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- A season-high crowd of 8,103 saw the Admirals defeat the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-2, on Saturday night at Scope. It was the fourth-highest attendance in American Hockey League Admirals history and was the highest attended game since April 6, 2007, when 8,376 saw Norfolk play the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
- Norfolk has nine players that have ten or more goals this season – two more than the next closest teams (Charlotte and Chicago, 7).
- Norfolk also has nine players with 20 or more points, just one shy of Manchester's league-leading ten.
- Norfolk is 10-3-3-1 against the Atlantic Division this season.
- The road team has won the first eight meetings of the season series between the Admirals and Checkers, as Norfolk has claimed three wins at the Time Warner Cable Arena and Charlotte has won five games at Norfolk Scope Arena.
- Brett Sutter’s goal at 12 seconds on Sunday at Charlotte was the fastest goal to begin a game that the Admirals have allowed since joining the AHL in 2000.
- On Sunday in Charlotte, Dustin Tokarski replaced Cedrick Desjardins at 5:07 of the second period after Desjardins left with an injury. That marked the first time the Admirals had replaced a goaltender since the final game of the 2008-09 season when Doug Raeder replaced Craig Kowalski with 0:02 left in a 4-3 win at the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on April 11, 2009.
Chris Durno: 4GP, 2G, 2A, 4PTS
With two goals and two assists and a +3 rating, captain Chris Durno
was tied for the team lead in points and plus-minus as the Admirals won three of four games last week. His week was highlighted by a two-goal performance on Saturday at Scope versus Bridgeport, as he tallied the game-tying and game-winning goals in a 3-2 win over the Sound Tigers.
Durno has registered 13 goals, 29 points and a +19 rating in 39 games with the Admirals this season. He and teammate Mike Angelidis
are tied for the American Hockey League lead in plus-minus. Durno ranks fifth in points and is third in goals with Norfolk in 2010-11. He has points in three straight games (2G, 2A), four of his last five games (3G, 3A) and 12 of his last 18 games (6G, 12A).
ADMIRALS FAMILY FUN PACK/STUDENT RUSH NIGHT
The Admirals return to Scope on Tuesday night for another Admirals Value Night. Family Fun Packs, presented by SunTrust
, include four discounted Red Level Tickets for just $48 plus four free hot dogs, four free popcorns and four free sodas. Fans get all of that for just $48 – that’s a savings of $37!
Student Rush Nights
provide $8 White Level Tickets (normally $12) for high school and college students with a valid current high school or college ID. In addition, when you buy a Student Rush Night Ticket, you get a buy-one, get-one free offer for the next Student Rush Night.
Family Fun Packs are available at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-745-3000 end_of_the_skype_highlighting or online at Ticketmaster.com. Student Rush Night Tickets are available ONLY at the Scope Box Office after 2:00 p.m. on the day of the game.
THIS WEEK ON THE ADMIRALS HOUR RADIO SHOW
Tune in to the Admirals Hour
on Tuesday afternoons at 4:00 p.m. on the home of the Admirals – "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and 1021TheGame.com. “The Voice of the Admirals” Pete Michaud
tomorrow by Admirals Hall of Famer Al MacIsaac. To call in to the show, dial (757) 490-2750.
Goals: Johan Harju
Assists: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Points: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Games: Mike Angelidis
, Paul Szczechura
, James Wright
PP goals: Paul Szczechura
SH Goals: James Wright
+/- Rating: Mike Angelidis
, Chris Durno
PIM: Alex Berry
GAA: Cedrick Desjardins
Spct: Cedrick Desjardins
Wins: Cedrick Desjardins
Losses: Dustin Tokarski
GPl: Cedrick Desjardins
Minutes: Cedrick Desjardins
Goals: Kyle Palmieri
Assists: Nicolas Deschamps
Points: Nicolas Deschamps
Games: Mat Clark
, Nicolas Deschamps
PP goals: Matt Beleskey
, Patrick Maroon
+/- Rating: Joe DiPenta
PIM: Leigh Salters
GAA: Jean-Philippe Levasseur
Spct: Jean-Philippe Levasseur
Wins: Timo Pielmeier
Losses: Jean-Philippe Levasseur
, Timo Pielmeier
GPI: Jean-Philippe Levasseur
, Timo Pielmeier
Minutes: Jean-Philippe Levasseur
Goals: Bobby Butler
Assists: Corey Locke
Points: Corey Locke
Games: Erik Condra
PP goals: Bobby Butler
Jim O’Brien (2)
+/- Rating: Erik Condra
PIM: Francis Lessard
GAA: Barry Brust
Spct: Barry Brust
Wins: Barry Brust
Losses: Barry Brust
GPI: Barry Brust
Minutes: Barry Brust
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
Individual tickets for all regular season games start at just $12. Tickets are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Take advantage of great savings on Admirals tickets with our 10-Packs and group tickets. 10-Packs are available for as little as $110 and allow you to pick the games you want. Group tickets start at $10 for groups of 25 or more people. Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com
anytime for more details or to purchase your tickets!
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All eighty regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com