– Winners of five of their last six games, the Norfolk Admirals will wrap up a four-game road trip with games Tuesday and Wednesday before returning to Virginia this weekend with a pair of games against the Springfield Falcons on Friday and Saturday at Norfolk Scope Arena.
On Tuesday, first-year defenseman Radko Gudas
broke a 1-1 tie 47 seconds into the third period as the Admirals won their fourth consecutive game with a 2-1 victory
over the Syracuse Crunch at Scope. On the road Friday, Paul Szczechura
scored a goal in regulation and the winning conversion in the shootout as Norfolk defeated the Binghamton Senators
, 3-2. Finally on Saturday, despite putting up 19 shots in the third period, the Admirals fell to the Syracuse Crunch
, 3-2, at the Onondaga County War Memorial at Oncenter.
With two games at Scope Arena this weekend, the Admirals will look close the gap between themselves and East Division leading Wilkes/Barre-Scranton Penguins. Friday is Zamboni Bank Giveaway Courtesy of JPM Financial Services, John’s Tax Service, WAVY-TV 10 and Fox43 as well as Norfolk Public Schools Night. Saturday is the Admirals annual Guns and Hoses Night to Benefit Children’s Hospital of the Kings Daughters. For more details, please see below.
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS
At 24-11-7-2 (57 pts.) the Admirals are in second place in the American Hockey League’s East Division. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (34-11-0-0, 68 pts.) lead the division. The Hershey Bears (26-14-1-2, 55 pts.) and Charlotte Checkers (25-16-1-4, 55 pts.) are tied for third place. The Binghamton Senators (23-18-2-3, 51 pts.) are in fifth place just six points back of the second-place Admirals. Wrapping up the division are the Albany Devils (17-23-0-3, 37 pts.), Syracuse Crunch (16-24-1-4, 37 pts.), and Adirondack Phantoms (13-28-2-3, 31 pts.). Click here for the complete, up-to-the-minute AHL standings
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Tues., Jan. 25 … at Portland Pirates (Buffalo Sabres) … 6:30 p.m.
Wed., Jan. 26 … at Manchester (Los Angeles Kings) … 7:00 p.m.
Fri., Jan. 28 … vs. Springfield Falcons (Columbus Blue Jackets) … 7:30 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Sat., Jan. 29 … vs. Springfield Falcons (Columbus Blue Jackets) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
ADMIRALS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- The Admirals' five-game winning streak was snapped on Saturday in Syracuse. Norfolk had won all five games played from January 14 - 21.
- Norfolk is 6-3-1-0 in its last ten contests. The Admirals did not allow more than three goals in any of those games.
- Norfolk takes on the first and second place teams in the Atlantic Division on Tuesday in Portland and Wednesday in Manchester. The Admirals swept a similar slate in December with a 7-2 win at Manchester on December 3 and 4-3 shootout win at Portland on December 4.
- Goaltender Mike Smith, a veteran of 157 career NHL games, was assigned to Norfolk on a conditioning stint by the Tampa Bay Lightning last week. On Saturday in Syracuse, Smith played his first AHL game since the 2005-06 season with the Iowa Stars, stopping 26 of 29 shots in a 3-2 setback to the Crunch.
- The Admirals are 0-4-0-0 on the road in Syracuse and Hershey but have a 10-1-1-0 road record against the rest of the East Division.
- Norfolk won just its second game in 18 tries when trailing after two periods on Friday in Binghamton.
- Norfolk has three of the top ten ranked players in plus/minus in the AHL with Chris Durno and Radko Gudas tied for third at +19 and Mike Angelidis tied for eighth at +17. Gudas leads all AHL rookies in plus/minus.
- All three of Gudas' goals this season have broken tied scores and stood up as game-winning goals. Gudas is tied for the lead among all AHL blueliners in game-winning goals at three (along with teammate Mike Vernace and Toronto defenseman Josh Engel).
- Nine of the top ten ranked players in plus/minus in the AHL are from the East Division.
Dustin Tokarski, 2-0-0, 1.43 GAA, .940 SV%
won both of his starts last week to extend his winning streak to four games. He turned aside 18 of 19 Syracuse offerings on Tuesday at Scope – including all ten third period shots to preserve a one-goal lead. On Friday at Binghamton, Tokarski was named the game's first star after denying 28 of 30 Senators shots through regulation and overtime before stopping three of five Binghamton shooters in the shootout.
Tokarski is 10-11-1 this season with Norfolk including a 2.67 goals-against average and .904 save percentage. During his four-game winning streak dating back to January 15 vs. Bridgeport, Tokarski has a 1.43 GAA and .938 save percentage.
ADMIRALS HALL OF FAME CLASS OF 2011 TO BE ANNOUNCED ON ADMIRALS HOUR RADIO SHOW
The Norfolk Admirals will announce the Class of 2011 Admirals Hall of Fame inductees during tomorrow afternoon's Admirals Hour Radio Show
, which airs from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and 1021TheGame.com.
ZAMBONI BANK GIVEAWAY NIGHT
On Friday Jan. 28th, the first 750 kids ages 14 and under through the gates will receive an Admirals Zamboni Bank courtesy of JPM Financial Services, John's Tax Service, WAVY-10 and Fox43. Click here for more details
NORFOLK PUBLIC SCHOOLS NIGHT
Also on Friday night, parents, students and staff of Norfolk Public Schools can get tickets for just $5. The discounted tickets are only available via advance purchase on norfolkadmirals.com before 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, January 27. Click here for more details
GUNS AND HOSES NIGHT
On Saturday Jan. 29th, the Admirals will host Guns and Hoses Night to benefit the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters. You get two games for the price of one, as “The Finest” battle “The Bravest” in the Norfolk Police Department versus the Norfolk Fire Department game at 4:30 p.m.
For a limited time only, Red Level Tickets for the event are available for only $12 – you save $2 per ticket and get in to “The Finest” versus “The Bravest” for free! Best of all, a portion of your purchase goes back to CHKD. Tickets may also be upgraded to Gold Level for an additional $3. Tickets must be purchased in advance through norfolkadmirals.com or by calling the Norfolk Fire Federal Credit Union at (757) 875-5389. Click here for more details
ELIZABETH HUGHES NATIONAL ANTHEM ENCORE PERFORMANCE
Join the Admirals at Scope for an encore performance of the national anthem by Elizabeth Hughes on Saturday, February 5, as the Admirals play the Binghamton Senators at 7:15 p.m. Eight-year-old Elizabeth and Admirals fans inspired people across the country with a display of unity and composure on January 7 at Scope. Halfway through a beautiful rendition of the national anthem, Elizabeth's microphone malfunctioned and her voice was no longer carried through the Scope sound system. Without hesitation, Elizabeth maintained her poise and continued to sing as nearly 5,000 Admirals fans at Scope joined her in rousing fashion.
Tickets for the game start at $12, including a $1 charitable donation to Elizabeth's school, the Hebrew Academy of Tidewater. To purchase tickets, please visit the Norfolk Scope Box Office, any Ticketmaster Outlet, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 or click here to visit ticketmaster.com
All fans in attendance will receive an American flag courtesy of A Step In Time Chimney Sweeps. Click here for more details
Goals: Johan Harju
Assists: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Points: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Games: Mike Angelidis
, Paul Szczechura
, James Wright
PP goals: Paul Szczechura
SH Goals: James Wright
+/- Rating: Chris Durno
, Radko Gudas
PIM: Mike Angelidis
, Alex Berry
GAA: Cedrick Desjardins
Spct: Cedrick Desjardins
Wins: Cedrick Desjardins
Losses: Dustin Tokarski
GPl: Cedrick Desjardins
Minutes: Cedrick Desjardins
Goals: Mark Mancari
Assists: Mark Mancari
Points: Mark Mancari
Games: Derek Whitmore
PP goals: Paul Byron
SH Goals: Matt Ellis
+/- Rating: Alex Biega
PIM: Tim Conboy
GAA: David Leggio
Spct: David Leggio
Wins: Jhonas Enroth
Losses: Jhonas Enroth
GPI: Jhonas Enroth
Minutes: Jhonas Enroth
Goals: Bud Holloway
Assists: Andrei Loktionov
, Viatcheslav Voynov
Points: Bud Holloway
PP goals: Bud Holloway
+/- Rating: Andrei Loktionov
PIM: Richard Clune
GAA: Martin Jones
Spct: Martin Jones
Wins: Martin Jones
Losses: Jeff Zatkoff
GPI: Jeff Zatkoff
Minutes: Jeff Zatkoff
Goals: Tomas Kubalik
Assists: Ben Guite
Points: Tomas Kubalik
Games: Trevor Frischmon
PP goals: Mike Blunden
SH Goals: Matt Calvert
+/- Rating: Nate Guenin
PIM: Tom Sestito
GAA: David LeNeveu
Spct: Gustaf Wesslau
Wins: David LeNeveu
Losses: David LeNeveu
GPI: David LeNeveu
Minutes: David LeNeveu
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
January 18, 2011
ADD G Jaroslav Janus
– Reassigned by Tampa Bay (NHL) from Florida (ECHL)
January 20, 2011
ADD G Mike Smith
– Conditioning loan by Tampa Bay (NHL)
Individual tickets for all regular season games start at just $12. Tickets are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Take advantage of great savings on Admirals tickets with our 10-Packs and group tickets. 10-Packs are available for as little as $110 and allow you to pick the games you want. Group tickets start at $10 for groups of 25 or more people. Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com
anytime for more details or to purchase your tickets!
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All eighty regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com