– With only 14 games remaining in the regular season, the Norfolk Admirals will continue their push towards the Calder Cup Playoffs as they open a five-game homestand against the Albany Devils this weekend at Scope. After winning all three games played last week, the Admirals are now in third place in the AHL's highly competitive East Division.
Twelve different Admirals registered at least one point as the Admirals defeated the Binghamton Senators, 5-1
, Wednesday night at Scope. In the third game of the three-game series between the teams Friday night, James Wright
netted his first professional hat trick and added an assist as the Admirals routed the Senators, 8-3
. Two nights later, Alex Berry
and James Wright
each scored in regulation and Johan Harju
scored in the opening-round of the shootout as the Admirals skated away with the 3-2 victory over the Hershey Bears
at Giant Center Sunday evening.
The Admirals will drop the puck on a five-game homestand this weekend as they take on the Albany Devils on Friday and Saturday nights. Friday night is Team Poster Night, courtesy of Supercuts. Friday's game is also Cheesy Noisemaker Night to Benefit Wave City Care and Virginia Beach Public Schools night. On Saturday night, the Admirals and PAPCO will team up for the eleventh annual MDA Jersey Auction Night to benefit the Hampton Roads Muscular Dystrophy Association. Please see below for more details.
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS
The Norfolk Admirals (34-19-8-5, 81 points, 14 games remaining) are in third place in the AHL's East Division. The Wilkes-Barre-Scranton Penguins (46-18-0-1, 93 points, 15 games remaining) are in first place. Norfolk trails the second-place Hershey Bears (41-22-1-5, 88 points, 11 games remaining) by seven points but has three games in hand. Norfolk holds a one-point lead and one game in hand over the fourth-place Charlotte Checkers (36-23-2-6, 80 points, 13 games remaining) and is six points ahead of the fifth-place Binghamton Senators (34-25-3-4, 75 points, 14 games remaining). Wrapping-up the East Division are the Albany Devils (28-34-1-3, 60 points), Syracuse Crunch (24-34-3-4, 55 points) and Adirondack Phantoms (22-33-4-6, 54 points).
The top four spots in the East Division are guaranteed to qualify for the 2011 Calder Cup Playoffs. The crossover rule is in effect where if the fifth place team in the East Division has more points than the fourth place team in the Atlantic Division, that team will cross over into the Atlantic Division Semifinals.
QUICK LINKS: Standings
| 2011 Calder Cup Playoffs Qualification Rules
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Fri., Mar. 18 … vs. Albany Devils (New Jersey Devils) … 7:30 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Sat., Mar. 19 … vs. Albany Devils (New Jersey Devils) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
ADMIRALS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- The Admirals have won three straight games and six of their last eight games (6-2-0-0).
- Norfolk has climbed back to third place in the East Division for the first time since February 12.
- Norfolk's penalty kill is 58/64 (90.6%) over its last 15 games and has risen to sixth in the AHL on the season (239/282, 84.8%).
- James Wright broke a 28-game goalless drought with three goals in the third period on Friday vs. Binghamton.
- The following night, Wright netted his fifteenth goal of the season to become the eighth different Norfolk player with 15 or more goals this season (tops in the AHL).
- Mark Barberio has established a new AHL Admirals record for goals and points by a rookie defenseman. Barberio has nine goals and 17 assists for 26 points in 54 games.
- With his ninth goal of the season Friday vs. Binghamton, Barberio passed Dustin Byfuglien (2005-06) and Anton Babchuk's (2003-04) eight goals.
- With his second assist on Sunday in Hershey, Barberio recorded his 26th point, passing the former record of 25 points previously held by Duncan Keith (2003-04) and James Wisniewski (2004-05).
- Barberio has points in three straight games (2G, 2A) and is tied for tenth in scoring among all AHL rookie blueliners.
- Since February 12, Dustin Tokarski is 8-1-2 with two shutouts, a 1.68 goals-against average and a .934 save percentage in 11 games.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning reassigned goaltender Jaroslav Janus to the ECHL’s Florida Everblades on Friday, as goaltender Cedrick Desjardins served as Norfolk's backup goaltender on Friday and Sunday after missing 23 games due to injury. Desjardins was injured on January 16 at Charlotte.
- Norfolk's eight goals on Friday vs. Binghamton established a new season high for offense and tied the AHL Admirals franchise record.
- Norfolk won its first game in Hershey since February 14, 2009 on Sunday, ending a nine-game losing streak (0-9-0-0) at Giant Center.
Johan Harju: 3 GP, 2 G, 3 A, 5PTS
Forward Johan Harju
netted five points as the Admirals won three games last week. He netted a goal and an assist on Wednesday as the Admirals topped Binghamton 5-1. In the Friday rematch with the Senators, Harju recorded a goal and two assists in an 8-3 win. He then tallied the shootout game-winning goal on Sunday in Hershey as the Admirals topped the Bears, 3-2.
Harju has 21 goals and 45 points in 49 games with Norfolk this season. He ranks first in goals, second in points and is tied for fourth in assists with the Admirals.
ADMIRALS TEAM POSTER GIVEAWAY, COURTESY OF SUPERCUTS
The first 2,500 fans through the gates on Friday March 18, will receive a 2010-11 Admirals Team Poster, courtesy of Supercuts.
CHEESY NOISEMAKER NIGHT TO BENEFIT WAVE CITY CARE
Please join us for Cheesy Noisemaker Night, Presented by Wave City Care, on Friday, March 18, as the Admirals take on the Albany Devils. Fans are encouraged to bring boxes of non-perishable food, such as macaroni and cheese, to the game. During the game, show your Admirals spirit by using the boxes as noisemakers. After the game, drop the food off at designated locations throughout the arena. Wave City Care will distribute the food to those in need in the Hampton Roads area.
In addition, $10 Red Level Tickets are available for the game for a limited time only. Proceeds benefit Wave City Care. Tickets are only available through norfolkadmirals.com and must be purchased by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 17. Click here to purchase tickets or for more details.
VIRGINIA BEACH PUBLIC SCHOOLS NIGHT
Join us on Virginia Beach Public Schools Night for a night of fast-paced, action-packed, hard-hitting entertainment as the Admirals take on the Albany Devils on Friday, March 18 at 7:30 p.m. at Norfolk Scope Arena. For a limited time, parents, students and staff members of Virginia Beach Public Schools can get tickets to this game for just $8! Tickets are available through norfolkadmirals.com and must be purchased by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 17. Click here to purchase tickets or for more details.
MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY ASSOCIATION JERSEY AUCTION, PRESENTED BY PAPCO
The Norfolk Admirals’ Eleventh Annual MDA Jersey Auction, presented by PAPCO, will take place Saturday night, March 19, immediately following the Admirals’ game against the Albany Devils. The Admirals will wear one-of-a kind jerseys during the game. Immediately following the conclusion of the game on Saturday, a live auction will take place on the ice with the jerseys being sold right off the players’ backs. All proceeds go to the local chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Over the past ten seasons, the Admirals have raised $274,950 for MDA through the annual jersey auction.
For a limited time, you can purchase $10 Red Level Tickets for the game - that's a savings of $4 per ticket! Proceeds benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Tickets may also be upgraded to Gold Level for an extra $3. Tickets are only available through norfolkadmirals.com and must be purchased by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 18. Click here to purchase tickets or for more details.
Goals: Johan Harju
Assists: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Points: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Games: Mike Angelidis
, Paul Szczechura
, James Wright
PP goals: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
SH Goals: James Wright
+/- Rating: Mike Angelidis
, Radko Gudas
, Marc-Antoine Pouliot
PIM: Mike Angelidis
GAA: Dustin Tokarski
Spct: Dustin Tokarski
Wins: Dustin Tokarski
Losses: Dustin Tokarski
GPl: Dustin Tokarski
Minutes: Dustin Tokarski
Goals: Adam Henrique
Assists: Matt Anderson
Points: Matt Anderson
Games: David McIntyre
PP goals: Adam Henrique
SH Goals: Brad Mills
+/- Rating: Dan Kelly
, Stephen Gionta
PIM: Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond
GAA: Jeff Frazee
Spct: Jeff Frazee
Wins: Mike McKenna
Losses: Mike McKenna
GPI: Mike McKenna
Minutes: Jeff Frazee
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
March 10, 2011
DELETE G Jaroslav Janus
– Reassigned by Tampa Bay (NHL) to Florida (ECHL)
Individual tickets for all regular season games start at just $12. Tickets are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Season tickets for the 2011-12 season are now available! Low monthly payments available for a limited time only. Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com
anytime for more details or to purchase your tickets!
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All eighty regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com