– The Norfolk Admirals dropped the puck on their first trip to the Calder Cup Playoffs in four years last weekend by defeating the top-seeded Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in Games One and Two on the road. The Admirals hold a two-games-to-none lead in their best-of-seven East Division semifinal series, which now shifts to Scope this week with Games Three, Four and (if necessary) Five on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. The Admirals are two wins away from advancing to the East Division Final.
The Admirals have utilized strong goaltending from Dustin Tokarski
and a solid penalty kill to take the lead in the series. In Game One, Tokarski stopped 32 of 33 shots and Mattias Ritola
had a goal and an assist as Norfolk topped Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, 2-1
. The following night, Tokarski turned in a 27-save shutout and Paul Szczechura
gave the Admirals the only offense they would need in a 2-0 victory
at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza. Norfolk’s penalty kill has denied Wilkes-Barre/Scranton’s power play on all 11 chances in the series.
Tickets for Games Three and Four start at only $13 and are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com. In addition, the Admirals will continue their popular Family Fun Packs, presented by SunTrust, and Student Rush Night promotions for all midweek home games during the playoffs – including Games Three and Four. Please see below for more details. Tickets will go on sale for Game Five if/when the game is deemed to be necessary.
ADMIRALS COMPLETE FIRST ROUND PLAYOFF SCHEDULE AND RESULTS:
Click on a link to purchase tickets
Game 1 – Friday, April 15, Norfolk 2 at W-B/Scranton 1, Norfolk takes 1-0 series lead
Game 2 – Saturday, April 16, Norfolk 2 at W-B/Scranton 0, Norfolk takes 2-0 series lead
Game 3 – Tuesday, April 19, at Norfolk, 7:15 p.m., Norfolk Scope Arena
Game 4 – Wednesday, April 20, at Norfolk, 7:15 p.m., Norfolk Scope Arena
Game 5* – Friday, April 22, at Norfolk, 7:30 p.m., Norfolk Scope Arena
Game 6* – Saturday, April 23, at W-B/Scranton, 7:05 p.m., Mohegan Sun Arena
Game 7* – Monday, April 25, at W-B/Scranton, 7:05 p.m., Mohegan Sun Arena
2011 CALDER CUP PLAYOFFS SEMIFINAL SERIES UPDATES:
- Dustin Tokarski has stopped 59 of 60 shots in the playoffs so far. He leads all goaltenders in the 2011 Calder Cup Playoffs with a 0.50 goals-against average, .983 save percentage and one shutout. Tokarski is also tied for the AHL playoff lead with two wins.
- Tokarski’s two-game stretch of allowing only one goal is the second-best stretch in Norfolk’s Calder Cup Playoff history, trailing only Michael Leighton’s back-to-back shutouts of the Binghamton Senators in the 2004 East Division Qualifying Series.
- Tokarski posted his first professional playoff shutout in just his second professional playoff game. Similarly, Tokarski posted his first professional regular season shutout in just his second professional regular season game (October 10, 2010, vs. Manchester).
- Norfolk is the only team to post a shutout in the 2011 Calder Cup Playoffs thus far.
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton was only shut out three times in 80 games during the 2010-11 regular season.
- Norfolk’s penalty kill is tops in the playoffs so far, having stopped all 11 Penguin power plays.
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton goaltender Brad Thiessen did not lose back-to-back games in regulation during the regular season. He lost Games One and Two against Norfolk despite posting a 1.53 goals-against average and .938 save percentage.
- Norfolk has started 2-0 in a playoff series for the fourth time in its AHL tenure. It has won the prior three such series, defeating Cincinnati 3-1 in 2001, San Antonio 3-0 in 2003 and Binghamton 2-0 in 2004.
- Prior to this season, the Admirals had never taken a 2-0 lead in a best-of-seven Calder Cup Playoff series.
- Seven Admirals made their professional playoff debuts last weekend: Mark Barberio, Blair Jones, James Wright, Scott Jackson, Radko Gudas, Dustin Tokarski and Vladimir Mihalik.
- In Calder Cup Playoff history, 215 teams have taken a 2-0 lead in a best-of-seven series. Of those teams, 193 won the series (89.8%).
- In Calder Cup Playoff history, 42 teams have won the first two games of a best-of-seven series on the road. Of those teams, 35 won the series (83.3%).
- In the 2006 East Division semifinal series between the #1 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and #4 Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the Penguins lost the first two games of the series in Pennsylvania. They went on to win the series in seven games.
QUICK LINKS: Playoff Bracket
- East Division semifinals:
- #4 Norfolk leads #1 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2-0
- #2 Hershey and #3 Charlotte are tied 1-1
- Atlantic Division semifinals:
- #1 Portland leads #4 Connecticut 2-1
- #2 Manchester leads #3 Binghamton 2-1
- North Division semifinals:
- #1 Hamilton leads #4 Oklahoma City 2-0
- #2 Lake Erie and #3 Manitoba are tied 1-1
- West Division semifinals:
- #1 Milwaukee and #4 Texas are tied 1-1
- #2 Houston leads #3 Peoria 2-0
| Playoff Schedule
PLAYOFF PACKAGES ON SALE FOR SEASON TICKET HOLDERS
Season ticket holders can purchase discounted playoff packages now by clicking here to visit norfolkadmirals.com
or by calling (757) 640-1212.
INDIVIDUAL PLAYOFF TICKETS NOW ON SALE
Individual playoff tickets for home games in the Norfolk Admirals' first round matchup against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins are now on sale at the Norfolk Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com
Playoff hockey returns to Norfolk Scope Arena for the first time in four years on Tuesday, Wednesday and (if necessary) Friday, for Games Three, Four and Five in the series against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
Individual playoff tickets range in price from $13.00 - $18.00 when purchased in advance of the day of a game. Students through high school, active military with valid identification and senior citizens receive $1 off single game tickets at the Scope Box Office. Group discounts are also available when purchased in advance through the Admirals group sales office.
ADMIRALS VALUE NIGHTS CONTINUE DURING PLAYOFFS
In addition, the Admirals will continue to offer midweek Value Nights including the popular Family Fun Packs, presented by SunTrust, and Student Rush Night tickets. These special offers will be available for all Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday home games throughout the 2011 Calder Cup Playoffs. The first two Admirals Value Nights of the playoffs will be this Tuesday and Wednesday in Games Three and Four against the Penguins.
Family Fun Packs, presented by SunTrust
, include four discounted Red Level Tickets for just $52 plus four free hot dogs, four free popcorns and four free sodas. Fans get all of that for just $52 – that’s a savings of $37! Student Rush Nights
provide $9 White Level Tickets (normally $13) for students with a valid current high school or college ID.
During the playoffs, Family Fun Packs are ONLY available at the Scope Box Office. Student Rush Night Tickets are available ONLY at the Scope Box Office after 2:00 p.m. on the day of the game.
THIS WEEK ON THE MICHAEL AND SON ADMIRALS HOUR RADIO SHOW
Tune in to the Michael and Son Admirals Hour today at 4:00 p.m. on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and 1021TheGame.com. "The Voice of the Admirals" Pete Michaud and Admirals Hall of Famer "The Original Admiral" Dennis McEwen will be live from Scope and will be joined by special guests. To call in to the show, dial (757) 490-2750.
NORFOLK PLAYOFF LEADERS
Goals: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Points: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
, Mattias Ritola
+/- Rating: Blair Jones
PIM: Blair Jones
, Mike Vernace
GAA: Dustin Tokarski
Spct: Dustin Tokarski
Wins: Dustin Tokarski
GPl: Dustin Tokarski
Minutes: Dustin Tokarski
WILKES-BARRE/SCRANTON PLAYOFF LEADERS
Goals: Keven Veilleux
Assists: Corey Potter
, Geoff Walker
Points: Corey Potter
, Keven Veilleux
, Geoff Walker
PIM: Joey Mormina
GAA: Brad Thiessen
Spct: Brad Thiessen
Losses: Brad Thiessen
GPI: Brad Thiessen
Minutes: Brad Thiessen
TRANSACTIONS OF THE LAST WEEK:
April 14, 2011
ADD F Alex Hutchings
– Reassigned by Tampa Bay (NHL) from Florida (ECHL)
Individual playoff tickets start at just $13. Tickets are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com
Season tickets for the 2011-12 season are now available! Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com
anytime for more details or to purchase your tickets!
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All playoff games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com