– After collecting three wins in three nights last weekend, the Norfolk Admirals stand only two points out of first place in the East Division as they enter a stretch of seven consecutive games against divisional opponents.
The Admirals commenced last weekend with a pair of victories over the Adirondack Phantoms. On Friday night, Philip-Michael Devos
and Pierre-Cedric Labrie
scored for Norfolk while Dustin Tokarski
turned aside all 17 shots he faced, as the Admirals blanked the Phantoms, 2-0
. In the rematch on Saturday night, 14 different Admirals picked up a point as the Admirals completed the weekend sweep of the Phantoms with a 7-3 victory
. Norfolk then wrapped up the week by defeating the Charlotte Checkers, 3-1
, on the road on Sunday evening.
The Admirals conclude their two-game road trip tonight as they face off against the first-place Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Norfolk then returns home for a Friday/Saturday set of games against the Syracuse Crunch at Norfolk Scope Arena. Friday night's game will feature the Admirals Hall of Fame inductions of Aaron Downey
and Chris Phelps. Saturday is another Post-Game Skate with the Admirals. Both nights feature great group events. Be sure to continue reading for more details.
The Admirals have posted a 30-18-1-2, good for 63 points in 51 games this season. Norfolk ranks third in the East Division and fifth in the Eastern Conference. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (29-14-2-5, 65 points) hold a one-point lead over the Hershey Bears (28-14-4-4, 64 points) for first place in the division. Trailing Norfolk in the division are the Syracuse Crunch (19-22-4-3, 45 points) and the Binghamton Senators (20-27-2-1, 43 points). Click here for complete AHL standings
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Wed., Feb 15 … at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh Penguins) … 7:05 p.m.
Fri., Feb 17 … vs. Syracuse Crunch (Anaheim Ducks) … 7:30 p.m. | GET TICKETS | INVITE YOUR FRIENDS VIA FACEBOOK
Sat., Feb 18… vs. Syracuse Crunch (Anaheim Ducks) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS | INVITE YOUR FRIENDS VIA FACEBOOK
HALL OF FAME INDUCTION CEREMONY
- Norfolk opens up a stretch of seven consecutive games within their division tonight – including two games each against first-place Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and second-place Hershey. The Admirals also play the Syracuse Crunch twice and the Binghamton Senators once.
- The Admirals recorded their 30th victory of the season in their 51st game of the season on Sunday night. Norfolk did not pick up its 30th victory of 2010-11 until its 60th game on March 2, 2011.
- Friday night’s 2-0 shutout of the Phantoms was Dustin Tokarski’s third shutout of the season and first since November 6th at Providence.
- The Admirals tied an AHL season high with 25 shots in the first period on Saturday night. The Admirals franchise record for shots in a single period is 26, set in the first period on March 17, 2007 vs. Bridgeport.
- After scoring three goals last week, Cory Conacher is once again atop the AHL leader board for goals. His 28 goals in 2011-12 are one more than Springfield's Cam Atkinson and two more than Syracuse's Kyle Palmieri.
- Conacher recorded the game-winning goal for the Admirals on Saturday vs. Adirondack and Sunday at Charlotte. Conacher is now tied atop the AHL leader board with six game-winning goals this season.
- The Admirals are 3-0-0-0 at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season. With a win tonight or in the final regular season game between the clubs in Pennsylvania on February 26, the Admirals would set a record for most road victories against the Penguins in their team history. The previous high is three wins during the 2001-02 season.
- Norfolk has already guaranteed its first winning record at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton since the 2001-02 season, when they posted three wins, one regulation loss and an overtime loss in four games.
- Former Admirals head coach Trent Yawney is now the associate head coach of the Syracuse Crunch. Yawney is the second-longest tenured coach in Admirals history, as he coached Norfolk's first five seasons in the American Hockey League (2000-01 – 2004-05). Only John Brophy (11 seasons, 1989-90 – 1999-2000) has coached the Admirals longer.
- Yawney led the Admirals to a 189-144-41-20-6 record in 400 regular season games, winning two division titles (2001-02, 2002-03) and qualifying for the Calder Cup Playoffs each season.
- Joining Yawney on the Syracuse coaching staff is assistant coach Marty Wilford, who played four seasons with the Admirals from 2000-01, 2002-03 – 2004-05. Wilford is the leading career scorer among defensemen in AHL Admirals history and ranks third overall in points in AHL Admirals history. In 318 games, Wilford posted 32 goals and 173 points.
Join us at Scope to honor the Admirals Hall of Fame Class of 2012
on Friday night. Aaron Downey
and Chris Phelps will be inducted as the 11th and 12th members of the Admirals Hall of Fame during a pre-game ceremony before the Admirals take on the Syracuse Crunch.
Downey and Phelps are the 11th and 12th members of the Admirals Hall of Fame. The Admirals Hall of Fame was established during the 2007-08 season with charter members Blake Cullen, John Brophy, Al MacIsaac and Rod Taylor. Over the last three seasons, Mark Bernard, Victor Gervais, Rick Kowalsky, Dennis McEwen, Ajay Baines
and Steve Poapst
have also been added to the elite group.
AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY HOCKEY NIGHT 2012
Friday night’s contest will also be American Cancer Society Hockey Night 2012 at Scope. Relay for Life supporters can contact their team leaders for information on discounted fundraising tickets. Red Level tickets for the contest are available for just $10. If you were to buy these tickets at the Scope Box Office on game night, they’d be $17.50 – you save 43%! Plus, a portion of ticket sales goes back to the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.
This special offer is only available through Relay for Life team leaders or by obtaining a special promotional code and visiting norfolkadmirals.com/groups
. The online order form is only available through Wednesday, February 15. The page will automatically expire at 11:59 p.m. that night.
POST-GAME SKATE WITH THE ADMIRALS
On Saturday night, the Admirals will hold a post-game skate
where fans can skate at Scope with their favorite Admirals following the game. A limited number of skates will be available or fans may bring their own skates.
GREAT WEEKEND FOR GROUP DISCOUNTS AT SCOPE
This weekend as the Admirals battle the Syracuse Crunch at Scope, there are a number of opportunities for discounted tickets.
It is Hockey Weekend Across America. Members of USA hockey can purchase discounted tickets with a special promotional code they received in an email last week. This code is good for Friday and/or Saturday's games.
Saturday night, supporters of the Virginia Air and Space Center and the Autism of Society of Tidewater can also purchase discounted fundraising tickets.
Tickets for each of these events must be purchased prior to 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, February 15th, by using the correct promo code at norfolkadmirals.com/groups
. After that time, the pages for these offers will automatically expire. To obtain the proper promo codes or purchase tickets via the phone, please contact the proper organizations.
Goals: Cory Conacher
Assists: Mark Barberio
Points: Cory Conacher
Games: Carter Ashton
PP goals: Cory Conacher
SH Goals: J.T. Wyman
+/- Rating: Pierre-Cedric Labrie
PIM: Radko Gudas
GAA: Dustin Tokarski
Spct: Dustin Tokarski
Wins: Dustin Tokarski
Losses: Dustin Tokarski
GPl: Dustin Tokarski
Minutes: Dustin Tokarski
Goals: Bryan Lerg
Assists: Colin McDonald
Points: Bryan Lerg
, Colin McDonald
Games: Bryan Lerg
PP goals: Geoff Walker
SH Goals: Bryan Lerg
+/- Rating: Colin McDonald
PIM: Brandon DeFazio
GAA: Scott Munroe
Spct: Scott Munroe
Wins: Brad Thiessen
Losses: Brad Thiessen
GPI: Brad Thiessen
Minutes: Brad Thiessen
Goals: Kyle Palmieri
Assists: Patrick Maroon
Points: Patrick Maroon
Games: Mat Clark
, Rich Schofield (48)
PP goals: Patrick Maroon
SH Goals: Jean-Francois Jacques
+/- Rating: Kyle Palmieri
PIM: Troy Bodie
GAA: Iiro Tarkki
Spct: Iiro Tarkki
Wins: Iiro Tarkki
Losses: Iiro Tarkki
GPI: Iiro Tarkki
Minutes: Iiro Tarkki
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
February 8, 2012
ADD D Evan Oberg
– Returned on loan by Tampa Bay (NHL)
Individual tickets for all regular season games start at just $12. Tickets are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Admirals 10-Packs for the 2011-12 season remain available for as little as $110. You may also reserve your 2012-13 season tickets with a deposit of as little as $100 per seat today. Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com