– After falling in two games on the road last week, the Norfolk Admirals hope a return to the friendly confines of Norfolk Scope Arena will help them rekindle the success of their last home stand.
One week after winning three straight games at Scope, the Admirals fell in a pair of road contests last week. Norfolk opened the weekend dropping a 5-2 decision
at Adirondack. The next night in Bridgeport, the Admirals fell to the Sound Tigers, 4-1
The Admirals play the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins this weekend on Friday and Saturday nights at Scope. Friday night is Military Appreciation Night, presented by USAA. In addition, the first 2,500 fans through the gates on Friday will receive Admirals thundersticks courtesy of Tim Horton’s. The Admirals will travel to Hershey, Pennsylvania, to finish the week with a road game against the rival Hershey Bears on Sunday evening
At 18-23-2-1 (39 points), the Admirals are in 5th place in the East Division and 15th place in the Eastern Conference. Below are the current AHL Eastern Conference standings:
Can't see the above standings? Visit theahl.com
Eight teams in each conference shall qualify for the 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs. Following the conclusion of each team's 76-game regular season, the three division winners in each conference will be seeded first through third (in order of regular-season points) and the next five best teams (in order of regular-season points) will be seeded fourth through eighth.
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Fri., Feb. 8 … vs. W-B/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh Penguins) … 7:30 p.m. | INVITE FRIENDS
Sat., Feb. 9 … vs. W-B/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh Penguins) … 7:15 p.m. | INVITE FRIENDS
Sun., Feb. 10 … at Hershey Bears (Washington Capitals) … 5:00 p.m.
ADMIRALS HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES ANNOUNCED
- The Norfolk Admirals announced that forward Brian Martin and defenseman Marty Wilford will be the newest members inducted into the Admirals Hall of Fame. Their inductions will take place in a pre-game ceremony on Friday, Feb. 22nd, prior to the Admirals facing off against the Providence Bruins at Norfolk Scope Arena.
- From the 1989-90 to 1993-94 seasons, Martin averaged 1.89 points per game, netting 171 goals and 347 points in 184 games with the Admirals. He was part of two ECHL Admirals championship teams.
- No player has recorded more assists and no defenseman has recorded more points in AHL Admirals history than Marty Wilford. In 318 games played, Wilford recorded 32 goals, 141 assists and 173 points with Norfolk. He is currently an assistant coach with the Admirals.
SCOPING THE COMPETITION – SCOUTING REPORT FOR UPCOMING GAMES
- Dan Sexton carried a five-game point streak into Saturday night’s game (2g, 3a) before being held off of the scoresheet.
- No player has scored more goals with the Admirals since January than Josh Brittain, who has five goals and seven points since joining Norfolk from the ECHL's Fort Wayne Komets. His seven points are tied with Patrick Maroon for the most on the team since January, as well.
- The Admirals have scored at least one power play goal in 10 of the last 13 games.
- Peter Holland scored power play goals on Friday and Saturday nights in his first games back from the NHL's Anaheim Ducks. These goals gave him 100 professional points in his career.
- Three former Admirals have made their NHL debuts with the Anaheim Ducks so far this season: Sami Vatanen, Emerson Etem and Viktor Fasth.
- Kyle Palmieri scored two goals on Friday night to lead the Ducks to a 3-1 win over the Minnesota Wild on his 22nd birthday. He has four goals on the young season and is tied with Sidney Crosby (among others) for 25th in the NHL in goals scored. His two game-winning goals are tied for fourth in the NHL.
- Emerson Etem had his first two NHL points (2 assists) on a Saturday night 6-3 win over the Los Angeles Kings. He made his NHL debut on January 29th at San Jose.
- Viktor Fasth won his first three NHL games, and is the only goalie in Anaheim Ducks history to accomplish that feat. He is 3-0-0 with a 1.30 goals-against average and .946 save percentage.
- Last week, goaltender Frederik Andersen was loaned to the Danish National Team for the final qualifying tournament for the 2014 Winter Olympics. Denmark's Olympic qualification games are Thursday at 2:00 p.m. vs. Ukraine, Friday at 3:00 p.m. vs. Slovenia and Sunday at 12:00 noon vs. Belarus (all times Eastern).
- Earlier today, the Anaheim Ducks assigned forward Devante Smith-Pelly to the Admirals. Smith-Pelly appeared in five games with the Ducks. He has five goals and 13 points in 34 games with the Admirals this season.
DUCKS CONTINUE TO IMPRESS
- Wilkes Barre/Scranton (24-18-2-1, 51 points) is sixth in the Eastern Conference and is third in the East Division.
- The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins have won nine of their last 10 games.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins acquired All-Star Chad Kolarik from the New York Rangers two weeks ago. In five games for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins he has scored two goals.
- This weekend’s games will be the third and fourth games between these teams this year. The season series is 1-1-0-0.
- The last time these two teams met was on January 15th at Scope. The Admirals dropped a 4-2 decision. Nick Schaus scored his first Admirals goal and Josh Brittain also lit the lamp for the Admirals.
- Bobby Farnham is 13th in the league with 125 penalty minutes on the season.
- Brad Thiessen was named the CCM/AHL goaltender of the month for January.
In seven appearances during the month, Thiessen was 5-2-0 with a 1.36 goals-against average, a .940 save percentage and three shutouts for the Penguins.
- Hershey’s Jeff Taffe is second in the AHL with 29 assists and is tied for twelfth with 38 points.
- Hershey’s Steve Oleksy is tenth in the AHL with 132 penalty minutes, while the Admirals’ Patrick Maroon is twentieth with 108.
The Anaheim Ducks have used a hot start to propel themselves upwards in the Western Conference early in the young NHL season. Anaheim has started the season 6-1-1-0 with 13 points, good for fourth in the Western Conference. The Ducks have a big week ahead of them as they have four games in six nights.
MILITARY APPRECIATION NIGHT
The second Military Appreciation Night, presented by USAA, takes place on Friday. Red Level Tickets (normally $19 on game nights) will be available for just $11 at the Norfolk Scope Box Office for all active or retired military, their dependents and reservists with valid military identification. Groups of 15 or more can purchase their Red Level Tickets for just $9 by contacting the Admirals Group Sales Office via phone at (757) 640-1212 ext. 23.
THUNDERSTICKS WILL BE GIVEN OUT AT FRIDAY’S GAME
The first 2,500 fans through the gates on Friday will receive Admirals thunder sticks courtesy of Tim Horton’s.
ADMIRALS ANNOUNCE 2013-2014 SEASON TICKET PAYMENT PLAN
Admirals season tickets remain one of the best entertainment values in Hampton Roads. 2013-14 season tickets are now available for as little as $50 a month. Effective immediately, you can lock in your 2013-14 season tickets with a $100 deposit per seat. To take advantage of the Admirals Season Ticket Payment Plan, that deposit is due by February 28, 2013. Monthly payments will be spread out from March through August.
For more details, click here
or call (757) 640-1212.
Goals: Peter Holland
Assists: Peter Holland
, Sami Vatanen
Points: Peter Holland
Games: Patrick Maroon
PP goals: Patrick Maroon
, Kyle Palmieri
SH Goals: Troy Bodie
, Emerson Etem
, Chris Wagner
+/- Rating: Chris Wagner
PIM: Patrick Maroon
GAA: Frederik Andersen
Spct: Frederik Andersen
Wins: Frederik Andersen
Losses: Igor Bobkov
GPl: Frederik Andersen
Minutes: Frederik Andersen
Goals: Riley Holzapfel
Assists: Beau Bennett
Points: Riley Holzapfel
Games: Riley Holzapfel
, Trevor Smith
PP goals: Eric Tangradi
+/- Rating: Philip Samuelsson
PIM: Bobby Farnham
GAA: Jeff Zatkoff
Spct: Jeff Zatkoff
Wins: Jeff Zatkoff
Losses: Jeff Zatkoff
GPI: Jeff Zatkoff
Minutes: Jeff Zatkoff
Goals: Tomas Kundratek
Assists: Jeff Taffe
Points: Jeff Taffe
Games: Garrett Mitchell
PP goals: Jon DiSalvatore
, Tomas Kundratek
SH Goals: Garrett Mitchell
+/- Rating: Garrett Mitchell
PIM: Steve Oleksy
GAA: Braden Holtby
Spct: Braden Holtby
Wins: Braden Holtby
Losses: Braden Holtby
GPI: Braden Holtby
Minutes: Braden Holtby
Individual tickets are on sale now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com
. Don’t miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com