– After splitting a home-and-home set against the Charlotte Checkers, the Norfolk Admirals began their season-long six-game road trip last weekend with a pair of wins in three games. The trip continues this weekend when they play three games in three nights against Atlantic Division foes.
Norfolk's busy week began on Monday in Charlotte, North Carolina, as Chris Durno
and Johan Harju
scored twice in a 7-3 win over the Checkers
. The teams re-convened on Wednesday at Scope, as Zac Dalpe
scored twice in an eleven-second span in the final minute of regulation as the Checkers came from behind to defeat the Admirals 4-3
. The Admirals began their six-game road trip on Friday in Glens Falls, New York, as they erased a two-goal deficit to defeat the Adirondack Phantoms 6-3
on the strength of a Johan Harju
hat trick. The Admirals then traveled to Springfield, Massachusetts, where Mike Angelidis
scored a pair of goals in a 5-2 victory over the Falcons
. The Admirals wrapped up the weekend yesterday in Bridgeport, Connecticut, and were shut out 3-0
despite sending 40 shots on net against Sound Tigers goaltender Kevin Poulin
The Admirals continue their road trip Friday against the Manchester Monarchs, Saturday against the Portland Pirates and Sunday against the Springfield Falcons.
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS
At 12-6-3-1 (28 pts) the Admirals are in third place in the East Division. The Admirals trail only the division-leading Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (17-4-0-0, 34 pts) and the Charlotte Checkers (13-8-1-2, 29 pts). Trailing the Admirals are the Hershey Bears (12-9-0-1, 25 pts), Binghamton Senators (10-10-2-1, 23 pts), Albany Devils (9-11-0-0, 18 pts), Syracuse Crunch (7-10-1-3, 18 pts) and Adirondack Phantoms (3-18-2-0, 8 pts). Click here for the complete, up-to-the-minute AHL standings
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Fri., Dec 3… at Manchester Monarchs (Los Angeles Kings)… 7:00 p.m.
Sat., Dec 4… at Portland Pirates (Buffalo Sabres)… 7:00 p.m.
Sun., Dec 5… at Springfield Falcons (Columbus Blue Jackets)… 3:00 p.m.
ADMIRALS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Johan Harju: 5GP, 6G, 1A, 7PTS
- Norfolk has won five of its last seven games and has standings points in 16 of 22 games this season.
- The Admirals recorded their third-best record at the season’s quarter pole since joining the AHL. With 26 points (11-5-3-1) through 20 games, the 2010-11 Admirals trailed only the 2006-07 Admirals (31 points, 14-3-2-1) and 2002-03 Admirals (29 points, 13-4-1-2) through 20 games in Norfolk’s 11 AHL seasons.
- The Admirals are 9-4-2-0 for 20 standings points through 15 road games this season – tied for the most wins and standings points through 15 road games in AHL Admirals history (2002-03, 9-4-1-1-0 and 2005-06, 9-4-0-1-1).
- Norfolk is tied for the most standings points on the road of any AHL team this season (20).
- Only the Milwaukee Admirals (16) have played more road games this season than Norfolk.
- The Admirals have gone nine straight games without a power play goal (0-21) but have killed 13 straight opponent power play opportunities over the last four games.
- Johan Harju has six goals and seven points in five games since returning from the Tampa Bay Lightning on November 21.
- The Admirals had 12 different two-goal performances in a game in 2010-11 before Harju netted the first hat trick of the season on Friday in Adirondack. It was the first Admirals hat trick since Justin Keller scored three times on February 10, 2010, at Scope against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
- After Friday night’s four-goal second period against Adirondack, the Admirals have scored four or more goals in a period three times in 2010-11. They did so only once in 80 games in 2009-10.
- The Admirals went six straight games with players having two-or-more-goal performances until Sunday’s shutout in Bridgeport: Blair Jones 11/19 at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Alex Berry 11/20 vs. Adirondack, Chris Durno and Johan Harju 11/22 at Charlotte, Pierre-Cedric Labrie 11/24 vs. Charlotte, Johan Harju (3G) 11/26 at Adirondack, Mike Angelidis 11/27 at Springfield.
- Cedrick Desjardins has wins in each of Norfolk’s last four road games with a 2.25 goals-against average and .908 save percentage in that time.
- Mike Angelidis (2G, 1A) tied his AHL single-game career highs for goals and points in game on Saturday in Springfield.
- Also on Saturday, Pierre-Cedric Labrie (1G, 2A) set a new AHL single-game career high for points in a game.
- Sunday’s 3-0 loss in Bridgeport was the first time in 2010-11 the Admirals were shut out and was just the fourth time this season they failed to score more than one goal in a game.
- Sunday’s game was just the sixth time in AHL Admirals history that Norfolk was shut out despite sending 40 or more shots on goal.
- In their last 11 head-to-head meetings, neither Norfolk nor Bridgeport has scored more than three goals in a game.
After being reassigned to Norfolk on Sunday, November 21, Johan Harju
netted six goals and seven points to pace the Admirals in a five-game stretch last week. Harju notched his third multiple-goal game of the season on Monday in Charlotte with two goals as the Admirals defeated the Checkers 7-3. He scored his first North American pro hat trick on Friday in Adirondack to help the Admirals erase a two-goal deficit in a 6-3 victory over the Phantoms. Harju then netted the game-winning goal in a 5-2 victory at Springfield on Saturday.
Harju leads the Admirals with 13 goals and 23 points in 17 games this season. He ranks third among AHL goal scorers and his .245 shooting percentage ranks fourth in the league. Harju has also appeared in his first four career NHL games with the Tampa Bay Lightning this season.
ADMIRALS VALUE NIGHTS
The Admirals return home Wednesday Dec. 8th against the Syracuse Crunch in another Weekday Value Night at Scope. Admirals Weekday Value Nights occur every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday home game during the regular season and feature Family Fun Packs and Student Rush Nights.
Family Fun Packs, presented by SunTrust, include four discounted Red Level Tickets for just $48 plus four free hot dogs, four free popcorns and four free sodas. Fans get all of that for just $48 – that’s a savings of $37! Click here for more information
Student Rush Nights provide $8 White Level Tickets (normally $12) for high school and college students with a valid current high school or college ID. In addition, when you buy a Student Rush Night Ticket, you get a buy-one, get-one free offer for the next Student Rush Night. Click here for more information
Family Fun Packs are available at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 or online at Ticketmaster.com. Student Rush Night Tickets are available ONLY at the Scope Box Office after 2:00 p.m. on the day of the game.
ADMIRALS HOLIDAY GIFT PACKS AND 10-PACKS
You’re sure to score with your family and friends this holiday season with Admirals Holiday Gift Packs and Admirals Holiday 10-Packs. Click here to order now!
Admiral Holiday Gift Packs include an Admirals magnet, jersey keychain, foam glove, four Admirals ticket vouchers and $10 in Admirals Hockey Bucks to be used for concessions, tickets and/or merchandise. The Admirals Holiday Gift Pack is valued at $78 but is available now for only $50!
Admirals Holiday 10-Packs are also now available. On top of the great value and flexibility always built into Admirals 10-Packs, you now also get an Admirals hat and an Admirals player-autographed puck. Admirals Holiday 10-Packs are available for as little as $125.
Admirals 10-Packs offer a flexible and affordable way to watch Admirals hockey at Scope. 10-Packs consist of ten undated ticket vouchers at $1 off the gate price. These vouchers may be redeemed at the Scope Box Office anytime for tickets to any 2010-11 Admirals regular season home game.
You can use all ten vouchers for ten tickets to one game, spread them out for a single ticket over ten different games, or anywhere in-between. Plus, there are no ticket fees and you save $10 over the life of the ten pack off the regular ticket price.
10-Pack vouchers may be exchanged for game tickets as far in advance as you like. So if you have a list of games you know you will attend, take the 10-Pack vouchers to the Scope Box Office today and redeem them for the seats of your choice (based upon availability) for the games of your choice.
Limited Admirals Holiday Gift Packs and Admirals Holiday 10-Packs are available, so get yours today. You can purchase them at the Admirals Center Ice Souvenir Stand during Admirals games, via phone at (757) 640-1212 or online at the merchandise page on norfolkadmirals.com
THIS WEEK ON THE ADMIRALS HOUR RADIO SHOW
Tune in to the Admirals Hour
at 4:00 p.m. on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and 1021TheGame.com. Admirals Vice President Joe Gregory
, Color Commentator Pat Shetler
and "The Original Admiral" Dennis McEwen
will be in the studios taking your call. "The Voice of the Admirals" Pete Michaud
will phone in a report from the road. To call in to the show, dial (757) 490-2750.
Goals: Johan Harju
Assists: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Points: Johan Harju
PP goals: Johan Harju
, Paul Szczechura
SH Goals: Mathieu Roy
, James Wright
+/- Rating: Chris Durno
PIM: Pierre-Cedric Labrie
GAA: Cedrick Desjardins
Spct: Cedrick Desjardins
Wins: Cedrick Desjardins
Losses: Cedrick Desjardins
GPl: Cedrick Desjardins
Minutes: Cedrick Desjardins
Goals: David Meckler
Assists: Andrei Loktionov
Points: Andrei Loktionov
Games: Bud Holloway
PP goals: Alec Martinez
, David Meckler
SH Goals: Marc-Andre Cliche
, Alec Martinez
+/- Rating: Corey Elkins
PIM: Richard Clune
GAA: Martin Jones
Spct: Martin Jones
Wins: Jeff Zatkoff
Losses: Jeff Zatkoff
GPI: Jeff Zatkoff
Minutes: Jeff Zatkoff
Goals: Luke Adam
, Mark Mancari
Assists: Matt Ellis
, Mark Mancari
Points: Mark Mancari
Games: Paul Byron
, Mark Mancari
, Brian Roloff
, Derek Whitmore
SH Goals: Matt Ellis
+/- Rating: Drew Schiestel
PIM: Tim Conboy
GAA: David Leggio
Spct: David Leggio
Wins: David Leggio
Losses: Jhonas Enroth
GPI: Jhonas Enroth
Minutes: Jhonas Enroth
Goals: Mike Blunden
, Matt Calvert
, Tomas Kubalik
Assists: Ben Guite
Points: Matt Calvert
Games: Matt Calvert
, Trevor Frischmon
, Ben Guite
PP goals: Mike Blunden
SH Goals: Matt Calvert
+/- Rating: Nate Guenin
, Jay Pandolfo
PIM: Tom Sestito
GAA: David LeNeveu
Spct: David LeNeveu
Wins: David LeNeveu
Losses: David LeNeveu
GPI: David LeNeveu
Minutes: David LeNeveu
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
Don’t miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your 2010-11 season tickets today. Affordable monthly payment plans are available for a limited time only! Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com.
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All eighty regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com