– Last weekend at Scope, the Norfolk Admirals continued their season-long homestand with back-to-back shutout victories against the Syracuse Crunch. The Admirals square off against East Division Rivals as the homestand continues this week with matchups against the Hershey Bears on Tuesday and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Friday and Saturday.
On Friday, goaltender Mike Smith
turned aside 29 shots in his debut at Scope as the Admirals shut out the Syracuse Crunch, 3-0
. The following evening, Dustin Tokarski
turned aside 19 shots as the Admirals blanked the Crunch, 4-0
. It marked the first time in nearly eight years the Admirals posted back-to-back shutouts.
The Admirals will return to the ice on Tuesday night as the Hershey Bears travel to Scope for the first of four meetings between the teams at Scope this season. The game against the Bears will feature another Family Fun Pack Night, presented by SunTrust, and another Student Rush Night. On Friday and Saturday nights, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins invade Scope. On Friday, Ajay Baines
and Steve Poapst
will be inducted into the Admirals Hall of Fame. Then on Saturday evening, the Admirals Alumni Game takes place at 4:00 p.m. Saturday's game is American Cancer Society Relay for Life Night. This weekend is also Hockey Weekend Across America. For more details, please see below.
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS
With 27 games remaining, the Norfolk Admirals (27-15-8-3, 65 pts.) are currently in fourth place in the East Division. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (40-15-0-0, 80 pts.) continue have the top record in the East Division and the entire American Hockey League. The Hershey Bears (33-16-1-3, 70 pts.) and the Charlotte Checkers (30-18-2-4, 66 pts.) are in second and third place, respectively. Trailing the Admirals in the division are the Binghamton Senators (28-20-3-3, 62 pts.), Syracuse Crunch (18-28-2-4, 42 pts.), Albany Devils (19-29-0-3, 41 pts.) and Adirondack Phantoms (17-30-3-3, 40 pts.). Click here for the complete, up-to-the-minute AHL standings
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Tues., Feb. 15 … vs. Hershey Bears (Washington Capitals) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Fri., Feb. 18 … vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh Penguins) … 7:30 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Sat., Feb. 19 … vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh Penguins) …7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
ADMIRALS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Mattias Ritola: 2 GP, 0 G, 4A, 4 PTS.
- With 3-0 and 4-0 victories over the Syracuse Crunch on Friday and Saturday nights, respectively, Norfolk recorded back-to-back shutouts for the first time in nearly eight years. Mike Smith turned aside all 29 Crunch shots on Friday night while Dustin Tokarski denied all 19 Syracuse offerings on Saturday.
- The last back-to-back shutouts for Norfolk came March 29-30, 2003, as Michael Leighton shut out the Binghamton Senators on March 29 and the Philadelphia Phantoms on March 30 (both on the road).
- The last time two different goalies led Norfolk to consecutive shutouts was January 24-25, 2003, as Craig Anderson shut out the Phantoms at Scope and Steve Passmore shut out the Bears in Hershey.
- Last weekend's games marked just the second time Norfolk shut out the same opponent in back-to-back games since joining the American Hockey League in 2000. The first time was March 23, 2002, at Scope vs. Philadelphia and March 24, 2002, at Philadelphia.
- Prior to last weekend, Norfolk had never shut out the same opponent in back-to-back home games since joining the AHL.
- With Friday's 3-0 win over Syracuse, Mike Smith recorded his first AHL shutout since February 24, 2006, when he blanked the San Antonio Rampage on 31 shots while playing with the Iowa Stars.
- With a pair of goals last week, Marc-Antoine Pouliot registered his team-leading 45th and 46th points (15G, 31A), surpassing Ryan Craig's team-leading point total from the entire 2009-10 season (23G, 22A, 45PTS).
- Troy Milam scored two power play goals last weekend against the Crunch, giving him ten goals on the season and tying him for the team lead with five power play goals.
- Milam is the tenth different Norfolk player to record ten goals this season. No other AHL team has more double-digit goal scorers.
- Blair Jones has points in ten of his last 14 games (7G, 8A).
- Norfolk is undefeated in regulation at home when scoring the first goal (10-0-1-2), scoring a power play goal (7-0-1-1) or holding a lead after the first period (6-0-2-2).
- Norfolk continues an eight-game homestand this week with games against Hershey on Tuesday night and against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Friday and Saturday nights.
- Tuesday's game is the first of four contests between the Admirals and Bears at Norfolk Scope Arena this season.
registered four assists in his first two games as an Admiral last week. Ritola notched a pair of assists in his Norfolk debut in Friday night's 3-0 victory over Syracuse. Ritola then assisted on the Admirals' first two goals in a 4-0 victory over the Crunch on Saturday night. Two of his assists came on the power play.
Ritola has now appeared in 213 career AHL games between the Admirals and Grand Rapids Griffins, scoring 41 goals and 69 assists for 110 points. Ritola has recorded two goals and four assists for six points in 24 games with the Tampa Bay Lightning this season (all NHL career highs). He was claimed by the Tampa Bay Lightning on waivers from the Detroit Red Wings on October 6. In 31 career NHL games, Ritola has scored two goals and five assists for seven points.
THIS WEEK ON THE ADMIRALS HOUR RADIO SHOW
Tune in to the Admirals Hour on Tuesday afternoons at 4:00 p.m. on the home of the Admirals – "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and 1021TheGame.com. “The Voice of the Admirals” Pete Michaud and "The Original Admiral" Dennis McEwen will be joined by Admirals Hall of Famer Rod Taylor live from Scope and Class of 2011 Admirals Hall of Fame Inductee Ajay Baines
FAMILY FUN PACK NIGHT PRESENTED BY SUNTRUST
Family Fun Packs, Presented by SunTrust, include four Red Level tickets, four hot dogs, four popcorns and four sodas for only $48. This great deal is offered for all Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night home games and may be purchased at the Scope Box Office, any Ticketmaster Outlet, charge-by-phone at 1-800-754-3000 or online at Ticketmaster.com (you can click on a date below to purchase a Family Fun Pack for that night). Please note that on the day of the game, Family Fun Packs may only be purchased at the Scope Box Office. Click here for more information
STUDENT RUSH NIGHT
Tuesday night's matchup against the Bears will feature another Student Rush Night at Scope. Student Rush Nights include all Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night home games. All students have to do is show their valid, current student ID at the Scope Box Office after 2:00 p.m. on the day of the game and receive a White Level ticket for just $8 (normally $12). High School and College IDs are accepted. This offer is not available anywhere other than the Scope Box Office. Click here for more information
HALL OF FAME INDUCTION NIGHT & ALUMNI GAME
Prior to the game against the Penguins on Friday night, former Admirals forward Ajay Baines
and defenseman Steve Poapst
will be inducted into the Admirals Hall of Fame on Friday, February 18th, prior to the Admirals game against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Baines and Poapst will become the ninth and tenth members of the Admirals Hall of Fame during a pre-game, on-ice induction ceremony prior to the game. Click here for more information
The Admirals Alumni Game will take place on Saturday afternoon, February 19, at 4 p.m., prior to the Admirals’ game against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Confirmed as participating in the game so far are Chad Ackerman, Ajay Baines
(first time), Mike Brown
(first time), David Buckley, Brenden Curley, Aaron Downey
(first time), Mike Flanagan (first time), Victor Gervais, Mike Larkin (first time), Chris Lukey, Dennis McEwen, Tom Menicci (first time), Chris Phelps (first time), Jason Saal (first time), Travis Smith, Kelly Sorensen and Rod Taylor. Click here for more information
AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY RELAY FOR LIFE NIGHT
Join us for American Cancer Society Relay For Life Night at Scope as the Admirals take on the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Saturday, February 19. Special discounted fundraising tickets are available with proceeds going back to the American Cancer Society. For more information or to purchase your vouchers,
contact your Relay For Life team leader or the American Cancer Society at (757) 493-7940. The top two selling teams will compete in an intermission broomball game. Click here for more information
HOCKEY WEEKEND ACROSS AMERICA
Join the Admirals and USA Hockey in celebrating Hockey Weekend Across America from Friday, February 18, through Sunday, February 20, 2011. Your Norfolk Admirals will square off against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Friday, February 18, and Saturday, February 19. Admirals fans are encouraged to join in the Hockey Weekend Across America festivities at Scope. Friday is Wear Your Jersey Day, presented by ShopUSAHockey.com. Fans are encouraged to wear their favorite team's jersey all day long to spread your passion for hockey all day long. Saturday is Bring a Friend to the Rink Day, presented by the NHL. If you know friends or family who have never been to a game or need a refresher, invite them to the Admirals game. Click here for more information
Goals: Johan Harju
Assists: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Points: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Games: Mike Angelidis
, Paul Szczechura
, James Wright
PP goals: Troy Milam
, Paul Szczechura
SH Goals: James Wright
+/- Rating: Mike Angelidis
PIM: Mike Angelidis
GAA: Mike Smith
Spct: Cedrick Desjardins
Wins: Cedrick Desjardins
Losses: Dustin Tokarski
GPl: Dustin Tokarski
Minutes: Dustin Tokarski
Goals: Brian Willsie
Assists: Keith Aucoin
Points: Keith Aucoin
Games: Brian Willsie
PP goals: Brian Willsie
SH Goals: Jay Beagle
+/- Rating: Brian Willsie
PIM: Steve Pinizzotto
GAA: Braden Holtby
Spct: Braden Holtby
Wins: Dany Sabourin
Losses: Dany Sabourin
GPI: Dany Sabourin
Minutes: Dany Sabourin
Goals: Nick Johnson
Assists: Dustin Jeffrey
Points: Dustin Jeffrey
Games: Zach Sill
PP goals: Nick Johnson
SH Goals: Dustin Jeffrey
+/- Rating: Robert Bortuzzo
PIM: Jesse Boulerice
GAA: Brad Thiessen
Spct: Brad Thiessen
Wins: Brad Thiessen
Losses: John Curry
GPI: John Curry
, Brad Thiessen
Minutes: John Curry
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
February 9, 2011
ADD C Mattias Ritola
– Loaned from Tampa Bay (NHL)
February 10, 2011
DELETE LW Johan Harju
– Recalled from loan by Tampa Bay (NHL)
Individual tickets for all regular season games start at just $12. Tickets are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Season tickets for the 2011-12 season are now available! Low monthly payments available for a limited time only. Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com
anytime for more details or to purchase your tickets!
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All eighty regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com