– The Norfolk Admirals have wins in five of their last six games and have solidified their position in the East Division Playoff Chase. Norfolk has just 12 games remaining in the regular season, beginning with games Wednesday, Friday and Saturday at Scope this week.
Last week, the Admirals earned three of a possible four standings points in a pair of games against the Albany Devils at Scope. Four different Admirals netted a goal on Friday night and Cedrick Desjardins
made 22 saves in his first appearance since January 16th as the Admirals defeated the Devils, 4-1
. On Saturday night, Paul Szczechura
scored two goals in helping Norfolk erase a 3-0 deficit, but the team was held scoreless in a shootout, as Albany skated away with a 6-5 victory
The Admirals will conclude their five-game homestand with three games in four nights before traveling to Charlotte to take on the Checkers. The Adirondack Phantoms invade Scope in another Admirals Value Night tonight at Scope. The Manchester Monarchs travel to Scope on Friday and Saturday. Friday night's matchup will be Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society Night and Virginia Zoo Lil' Kinz Giveaway Night. Beginning at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday afternoon, the Admirals will hold their 2011 Spring Puck Crawl on Granby Street in Downtown Norfolk. Saturday night's rematch between the Admirals and Monarchs will be Girl Scout Council of Colonial Coast Night. More details are listed below and at norfolkadmirals.com.
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS
The Norfolk Admirals (35-19-8-6, 84 points, 12 games remaining) are in fourth place in the AHL's East Division. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (50-18-0-1, 101 points, 11 games remaining) are in first place and became the first team to clinch a berth in the 2011 Calder Cup Playoffs last week. Norfolk trails the second-place Hershey Bears (42-23-2-5, 91 points, 8 games remaining) by seven points but has four games in hand. The Admirals trail the third-place Charlotte Checkers (39-25-2-6, 86 points, 8 games remaining) but has four games in hand. Norfolk holds a five-point lead over the fifth-place Binghamton Senators (36-27-3-4, 79 points, 10 games remaining). The Admirals hold two games in hand over the Senators. Wrapping-up the East Division are the Albany Devils (30-35-1-3, 64 points), Syracuse Crunch (27-35-3-4, 61 points) and Adirondack Phantoms (24-34-4-6, 58 points).
The top four spots in the East Division are guaranteed to qualify for the 2011 Calder Cup Playoffs. The crossover rule is in effect where if the fifth place team in the East Division has more points than the fourth place team in the Atlantic Division, that team will cross over into the Atlantic Division Semifinals.
QUICK LINKS: Standings
| 2011 Calder Cup Playoffs Qualification Rules
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Wed., Mar. 23 …vs. Adirondack Phantoms (Philadelphia Flyers) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Fri., Mar. 25 … vs. Manchester Monarchs (Los Angeles Kings) … 7:30 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Sat., Mar. 26 … vs. Manchester Monarchs (Los Angeles Kings) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Sun., Mar. 27 … at Charlotte Checkers (Carolina Hurricanes) … 5:00 p.m.
ADMIRALS VALUE NIGHTS
- The Admirals have standings points in five straight games (4-0-0-1) and 11 of their last 13 games (8-2-0-3).
- The Admirals have standings points in seven straight home games (5-0-0-2). Norfolk is 17-7-5-5 at Norfolk Scope Arena in 2010-11 – good for the fourth-highest home points percentage in the AHL (.647).
- The Admirals have recorded at least one power play goal in six straight games (9/30, 30.0%) and are 17/67 (25.4%) on the man advantage over their past 12 games, rising from 18th to 12th in the AHL on the power play.
- Norfolk's penalty kill is 62/68 (91.2%) over its last 17 games and has risen from 14th to sixth in the AHL on the season.
- On Saturday vs. Albany, Norfolk did not commit a penalty in a game for the first time since joining the American Hockey League in 2000-01.
- The Admirals finished the season 6-0-1-1 against the Albany Devils.
- After recording only two goals in a 22-game span from January 15 – March 5, Paul Szczechura has five goals in his last six games. Szczechura also has points in five of his last six games (5G, 2A).
- After breaking a 28-game goalless drought on March 11 with a hat trick against Binghamton, James Wright has registered five goals in his last four games and has points in all four games (5G, 3A).
- The Admirals are tied with Adirondack for the fewest games played in the AHL to date (68). Norfolk holds multiple games in hand on Hershey (4), Charlotte (4) and Binghamton (2).
- Of Norfolk's 12 remaining regular season games, six are at home, six are on the road, two are against Hershey, two are against Charlotte and one is against Binghamton.
- Thanks to the generosity of its fans, the Norfolk Admirals hockey club was able to raise $31,515 for the Hampton Roads Muscular Dystrophy Association on Saturday night in its eleventh annual MDA Jersey Auction, presented by PAPCO. Over the past 11 seasons, the Admirals have been able to raise $306,465 for MDA through the annual jersey auction.
Tonight is another Admirals Value Night at Norfolk Scope. Family Fun Packs, presented by SunTrust
, include four discounted Red Level Tickets for just $48 plus four free hot dogs, four free popcorns and four free sodas. Fans get all of that for just $48 – that’s a savings of $37!
Student Rush Nights
provide $8 White Level Tickets (normally $12) for high school and college students with a valid current high school or college ID. In addition, when you buy a Student Rush Night Ticket, you get a buy-one, get-one free offer for the next Student Rush Night.
Family Fun Packs and Student Rush Night Tickets for tonight's game are now available ONLY at the Scope Box Office.
NAVY-MARINE CORPS RELIEF SOCIETY NIGHT
Join us on Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society Night
for a night of fast-paced, action-packed, hard-hitting entertainment as the Admirals take on the Manchester Monarchs on Friday, March 25 at 7:30 p.m. at Norfolk Scope Arena. All members of the military can purchase Red Level Tickets for just $10 through the Scope Box Office or at norfolkadmirals.com. Proceeds benefit the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society. Online ticket sales will close at 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 24, 2011. For more information, contact Kathy Nelson at 322-1173 or Charlie Colon at 640-1212 ext. 23 or visit norfolkadmirals.com.
Lil' KINZ GIVEAWAY COURTESY OF THE VIRGINIA ZOO
The first 500 kids age 12 and under through the gates on Friday March 25th will receive a Lil’ Kinz courtesy of the Virginia Zoo
NORFOLK ADMIRALS 2011 SPRING PUCK CRAWL
The Admirals 2011 Spring Puck Crawl
will take place on Saturday March 26th from 3:00 – 7:00 p.m. on Granby Street in Downtown Norfolk, prior to the opening faceoff between the Norfolk Admirals and the Manchester Monarchs. The cost to participate in the Puck Crawl is $20 in advance or $25 at the door. Check-in will begin on Saturday, March 26 at 2:30 p.m. at Baxter's Sports Lounge. Tickets may only be picked up at Baxter's Sports Lounge after 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 26. To see a list of participating establishments or to purchase tickets, visit norfolkadmirals.com.
GIRL SCOUT COUNCIL OF COLONIAL COAST NIGHT
Join the Admirals for Girl Scout Council of Colonial Coast Night
on Saturday March 26th as the Norfolk Admirals take on the Manchester Monarchs. Starting at 6:00 p.m. a Hockey 101 and career Opportunities in Sports Industry Session will take place. The top-selling Girl Scout from cookie sales will participate in the Ceremonial Puck to start the game.
Goals: Johan Harju
Assists: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Points: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Games: Mike Angelidis
, Paul Szczechura
, James Wright
PP goals: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
SH Goals: James Wright
+/- Rating: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
PIM: Mike Angelidis
GAA: Dustin Tokarski
Spct: Dustin Tokarski
Wins: Dustin Tokarski
Losses: Dustin Tokarski
GPl: Dustin Tokarski
Minutes: Dustin Tokarski
Goals: Denis Hamel
Assists: Erik Gustafsson
Points: Denis Hamel
Games: Ben Holmstrom
PP goals: Denis Hamel
SH Goals: Jonathon Kalinski
, Erik Wellwood (2)
+/- Rating: Mike Testwuide
PIM: Zac Rinaldo
GAA: Michael Leighton
Spct: Michael Leighton
Wins: Michael Leighton
Losses: Johan Backlund
GPI: Johan Backlund
Minutes: Johan Backlund
Goals: Bud Holloway
Assists: Bud Holloway
Points: Bud Holloway
Games: Justin Azevedo
, Bud Holloway
PP goals: Bud Holloway
SH Goals: Oscar Moller
+/- Rating: Viatcheslav Voynov
PIM: Richard Clune
GAA: Martin Jones
Spct: Martin Jones
Wins: Martin Jones
Losses: Jeff Zatkoff
GPI: Jeff Zatkoff
Minutes: Jeff Zatkoff
Goals: Chris Terry
Assists: Zach Boychuk
, Bryan Rodney
Points: Chris Terry
Games: Riley Nash
, Chris Terry
PP goals: Jon Matsumoto
SH Goals: Zac Dalpe
, Jon Matsumoto
+/- Rating: Jacob Micflikier
PIM: Zack FitzGerald
GAA: Mike Murphy
Spct: Mike Murphy
Wins: Mike Murphy
Losses: Justin Pogge
GPI: Justin Pogge
Minutes: Mike Murphy
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
March 21, 2011
– ADD G Jaroslav Janus
– Reassigned by Tampa Bay (NHL) from Florida (ECHL)
March 20, 2011
– DELETE G Jaroslav Janus
– Reassigned by Tampa Bay (NHL) to Florida (ECHL)
March 18, 2011
– ADD G Jaroslav Janus
– Reassigned by Tampa Bay (NHL) from Florida (ECHL)
Individual tickets for all regular season games start at just $12. Tickets are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Season tickets for the 2011-12 season are now available! Low monthly payments available for a limited time only. Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com
anytime for more details or to purchase your tickets!
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All eighty regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com