– After opening 2012 on the road vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Wednesday night, the Norfolk Admirals will begin a five-game homestand beginning on Friday night. The Admirals concluded the 2011 calendar year on a five-game point streak, dating back to December 17th.
Last week, the Admirals out-dueled the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in a pair of contests at Scope Arena, before falling at Hershey in a shootout on New Year’s Eve. On Wednesday night, Mike Kostka
and Phillip-Michael Devos each scored second-period tallies as the Admirals took the first game vs. the Sound Tigers, 2-1
. In the final game at Scope Arena of the 2011 calendar year, the Admirals received goals from Cory Conacher
, Matt Fornataro
and Tyler Johnson
in jumping out to a three-goal lead and held on as they defeated the Sound Tigers, 3-2
. On Saturday night, Ondrej Palat
scored a first-period goal and Mike Kostka
tallied one in the third period to send the game to overtime, but the Admirals failed to score in the shootout, as they fell, 3-2
, to the Hershey Bears.
After battling the Penguins on Wednesday night, the Admirals begin a five-game homestand, starting on Friday and Saturday nights vs. the Albany Devils.
At 20-11-0-2 (42 points), the Admirals find themselves just two points behind the Hershey Bears (19-8-3-3, 44 points) for first place in the East Division. Norfolk’s opponent tomorrow night, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (18-10-1-4, 41 points) are in third place of the division. The Syracuse Crunch (14-13-3-1, 32 points) and Binghamton Senators (14-20-1-1, 30 points) wrap-up the East Division, in fourth and fifth place respectively. Click here for complete AHL standings
THE ADMIRALS’ WEEK AHEAD
Wed., Jan 4 … at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh Penguins) … 7:05 p.m.
Fri., Jan 6 … vs. Albany Devils (New Jersey Devils) … 7:30 p.m. | GET TICKETS
Sat., Jan 7 … vs. Albany Devils (New Jersey Devils) … 7:15 p.m. | GET TICKETS
THIS WEEK ON THE ADMIRALS HOUR RADIO SHOW, PRESENTED BY MICHAEL AND SON
- The Admirals begin the 2012 calendar year riding the longest point streak of the 2011-12 season – a five-game point streak (4-0-0-1) dating back to December 17 vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. It is the longest point streak since a six-game streak (5-0-0-1) from March 9 – 23, 2011.
- Norfolk has won 10 of its last 14 games (10-3-0-1).
- The Admirals have scored at least one power play goal in nine consecutive games (11/53, 20.8%).
- Norfolk is 15-1-0-1 in games where it is tied or leading headed into the third period this season.
- Norfolk is 12-2-0-1 when scoring first and 8-1-0-1 when leading after the first period.
- Norfolk is 9-4-0-2 against the East Division this season – including a 7-1-0-1 mark on the road.
- The announced attendance of 5,695 last Wednesday night at Scope was the largest mid-week attendance in AHL Admirals history. The previous high mid-week attendance was exactly 11 years prior – Thursday, December 28, 2000 – when 5,181 fans saw the Admirals lose to the Kentucky Thoroughblades, 4-3 in overtime.
- The Admirals had gone 24 games without an overtime contest prior to Saturday night's shootout loss in Hershey.
- Jaroslav Janus has been in net for all three shootouts Norfolk has played this season, going 1-2 with nine saves on 13 shots.
- The Admirals have posted a 2-1-0-1 mark at Giant Center this season. In the previous four seasons, Norfolk had a 3-16-0-0 record when playing in Hershey.
- Hershey’s two shorthanded goals on Saturday night tied Norfolk’s franchise record for shorthanded goals allowed in a single game. It was the ninth time that Norfolk had surrendered two shorthanded goals in a game.
- Norfolk’s 17 shots against Bridgeport on Friday night were a season-low, breaking the mark of 19 set two nights prior against the Sound Tigers.
- Norfolk has been out-shot by its opponent in each of its past three games after out-shooting its opponents in 22 of its first 30 games this season.
Tune in to the Admirals Hour, Presented by Michael and Son
, this afternoon at 4:00 p.m. on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and 1021TheGame.com. Admirals Vice President Joe Gregory
, Corporate Sales Manager Dennis McEwen
and Director of Media Relations Keith Phillips
will host the show. “The Voice of the Admirals” Pete Michaud
will call in from the road. Our special guest today is Admirals Hall of Famer and current Albany Devils Head Coach Rick Kowalsky
. If you have questions for the show, dial (757) 490-2750.
ADMIRALS THUNDERSTICKS GIVEAWAY COURTESY OF SUPERCUTS
The first 2,500 fans through the gates on Saturday night will receive an Admirals Thundersticks courtesy of SUPERCUTS.
Goals: Cory Conacher
Assists: Mark Barberio
Points: Trevor Smith
Games: Carter Ashton
, Trevor Smith
PP goals: Cory Conacher
SH Goals: J.T. Wyman
+/- Rating: Mark Barberio
PIM: Radko Gudas
GAA: Dustin Tokarski
Spct: Dustin Tokarski
Wins: Dustin Tokarski
Losses: Dustin Tokarski
GPl: Dustin Tokarski
Minutes: Dustin Tokarski
Goals: Eric Tangradi
Assists: Colin McDonald
Points: Colin McDonald
Games: Bryan Lerg
PP goals: Ben Street
, Eric Tangradi
SH Goals: Bryan Lerg
+/- Rating: Colin McDonald
PIM: Geoff Walker
GAA: Scott Munroe
Spct: Brad Thiessen
Wins: Brad Thiessen
Losses: Brad Thiessen
GPI: Brad Thiessen
Minutes: Brad Thiessen
Goals: Steve Zalewski
Assists: Matt Anderson
Points: Steve Zalewski
Games: Matt Anderson
, Peter Harrold
, Steve Zalewski
PP goals: Eric Gelinas
SH Goals: Steve Bernier
+/- Rating: Mike Sislo
PIM: Brad Mills
GAA: Jeff Frazee
Spct: Jeff Frazee
Wins: Keith Kinkaid
Losses: Keith Kinkaid
GPI: Keith Kinkaid
Minutes: Keith Kinkaid
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
December 29, 2011
DELETE D Evan Oberg
- Recalled from loan by Tampa Bay (NHL)
ADD D Charles Landry
– Reassigned by Tampa Bay (NHL) from Florida (ECHL)
December 30, 2011
DELETE LW Pierre-Cedric Labrie
– Released from Standard Player’s Contract (SPC)
ADD LW Pierre-Cedric Labrie
– Loaned from Tampa Bay (NHL)
Individual tickets are now on sale for all Admirals regular season home games at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Don’t miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your 2011-12 season tickets or 10-packs today. Stop by the Admirals’ Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com
anytime for more details or to purchase your tickets!
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com
. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live’s online audio and video features at ahllive.com